G&R Tactical
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: What are the characteristics of an over pressure round?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Midwest Flyover Country
    Posts
    3,582
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    The case is empty. When you put the rod in you can hear it hit the inside of the case. If it was another ripped casing this one wouldn't have fired. It sticks out far enough that the bolt doesn't close ..... doesn't come close to closing.

    At home I let it soak and flipped it upside down and hit the rod against the floor. Doesn't budge. Yesterday I gave it to a gunsmith

    Come to think of it, the only ones I've seen stuck are those gray colored casings.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    suburbs of Philly Pa
    Posts
    3,613
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    Come to think of it, the only ones I've seen stuck are those gray colored casings.
    I had a mix. All wolf but some were green unsealed, green sealed and gray. The gray were military classic box

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    418
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post

    Then I looked at another mag, a Polish steel one and it had a large dent in it. Totally F'd. Follower is stuck, rounds just fell out after I took the first one out. 2 rounds also had dents.

    Then I'm thinking maybe the pressure hit the metal mag causing it to have a huge dent but there's no damage or burn marks on the check rig where that mag was.

    Then I thought maybe the dent is unrelated and I simply fell on something when I went prone and didn't realize it in all the excitement. But I'm a lefty and that part of the mag was facing my body not the ground!


    WTF!

    I'm willing to bet that was the mag you used to smack the mag release then smack the cleaning rod while still at the range. Pressure from a stuck case did not dent that mag, and if you fell on something and did that while getting prone you'd remember. You used that mag like a hammer while in an excited frenzy to get back to the firing line and this is the result.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Midwest Flyover Country
    Posts
    3,582
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I had a mix. All wolf but some were green unsealed, green sealed and gray. The gray were military classic box

    I've run well over 20K of the green sealed 7n6 through one particular rifle- not one stuck casing. Ran some of the gray 5.56 in a 106 and had two stuck casings. Then all the other times I had stuck casings they were gray either in 106's or AR's.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    suburbs of Philly Pa
    Posts
    3,613
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never had steel 556. Obviously no other option for 545. Never had issues in 7.62x39 with gray cases.

    With ammo being as cheap as it is now I try to stick with brass where I can but no issues with steel in handgun calibers. From now on I'll try to avoid the gray cases when possible

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Midwest Flyover Country
    Posts
    3,582
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Never had steel 556. Obviously no other option for 545. Never had issues in 7.62x39 with gray cases.

    With ammo being as cheap as it is now I try to stick with brass where I can but no issues with steel in handgun calibers. From now on I'll try to avoid the gray cases when possible
    All I have are green surplus 5.45. I haven't checked my 7.62 rounds but those are all commercial- so probably gray as well. I do have some of the gray 5.56 commercial Wolf and have experienced some stuck shell casings with it so now I just buy 5.56 brass.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    362
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    I'm willing to bet that was the mag you used to smack the mag release then smack the cleaning rod while still at the range. Pressure from a stuck case did not dent that mag, and if you fell on something and did that while getting prone you'd remember. You used that mag like a hammer while in an excited frenzy to get back to the firing line and this is the result.
    I was thinking the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •