Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon 550 owners-

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Dillon 550 owners-

My 550 is 35+ years old, and has been rebuilt 3 times. It has slowly been upgraded, and Dillon sent me the mechanical, bellcrank powder measure several years ago. It replaced the double springs powering the powder bar.
    It didn't run very smoothly; my powder bars are hodge podge going back years, and I leave them set for a particular charge. Some were really binding in the powder measure.
    Finally groused to Dillon, and they sent me bunch of current-spec powder bars with the slippery silver coating.
    All the difference in the world; bars ran smoothly, and did that little 'bump' at the end of the stroke. I'm guessing that 'bump' is like what we used to do with the tapper on old Lyman powder measures.
    In any case, measuring accuracy has improved immensely, and the press runs so much more smoothly.
    Don't suffer in silence; talk to Dillon.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Good to hear they're keeping the customer service level high. I like the double spring powder deal better than the new version for the exact issue you mentioned.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I think there's a thread on Brian Enos' forum about guys retrofitting the older Dillon powder measure, because they liked it better than the new one...

I know it's heresy, but smearing a touch of motor oil on the powder bars made mine run a lot smoother. I know I don't want oil in my powder charge, but we're talking just enough to make it feel a little oil (not dripping!).

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    They'll also sell you the springs as well.

Feedback Score
    Now that I (finally) got the bellcrank system working, I wouldn't go back to the springs.
    Too, that slippery surface on new production makes a huge difference, and I'm convinced that there was a change in specs.
    Bimmer, know what you're saying about just a dab of lube. I used powdered graphite on the primer shuttle, until, again, the new ones have that slippery silver coating.
    Wish I had a nickel for every round that's come out of that 550. I could drink free for months.
    Wonder how much of modern, high round count shooting developed from progressive presses, priced for the ordinary shooter?
    Moon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I only run the bell crank on pistol ammo, and still have yet to get used to the clunky movement of the system.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Dillon 550 owner here. Not had much trouble with the powder bar set up. Good info on keeping extra powder bars. It’s the primer feed bar that is a problem for me. After 2-300 rounds, it has to be cleaned thoroughly or it sticks pretty bad. I need to send it back to Dillon and have the press rebuilt and cleaned thoroughly. 8 years, thousands of rounds....

Feedback Score
    Deuce', I lube my ram, but sparingly, because it will migrate on to the primer shuttle, and gum things up. I keep the exposed parts of the shuttle wiped down. But I don't have to actually tear down the primer assembly, except perhaps once a year. And a bunch (I mean a bunch )of rounds have been thru' it.
    BTW, as regards tearing down the press...are they willing to pay for shipment? They wanted $75 for shipping, and I was too cheap. I've rebuilt it twice already, (had it since '88), so one more time didn't hurt. I usually break the crank.
    If you're halfway handy, it really isn't that tough. And it will help you understand the press better.
    BTW, is your primer shuttle coated with the gray, teflon-ish material? You can get a new shuttle (both sizes?) from Dilllon.
    Let me know.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Deuce', I lube my ram, but sparingly, because it will migrate on to the primer shuttle, and gum things up. I keep the exposed parts of the shuttle wiped down. But I don't have to actually tear down the primer assembly, except perhaps once a year. And a bunch (I mean a bunch )of rounds have been thru' it.
    BTW, as regards tearing down the press...are they willing to pay for shipment? They wanted $75 for shipping, and I was too cheap. I've rebuilt it twice already, (had it since '88), so one more time didn't hurt. I usually break the crank.
    If you're halfway handy, it really isn't that tough. And it will help you understand the press better.
    BTW, is your primer shuttle coated with the gray, teflon-ish material? You can get a new shuttle (both sizes?) from Dilllon.
    Let me know.
    Moon
    Moon,
    I polished the primer shuttle underside with a scotch bright pad and even with a dremel on a low setting. I was told to never lube the primer assembly as bad things can happen. Some people have used graphite lube. I think my large and small primer shuttles are of the old type. I will check when I a home again. I am fairly handy, but if I eff up the disassembly/assembly it would have to go back to Dillon anyway. I may call them to see if I can get shipping paid for.

Feedback Score
    You do have the steel insert that sits under the primer shuttle? Yeah, get yourself some new ones.
    BTW, a rebuild usually isn't necessary unless you actually break something. Are the big nuts on the outside of the crank tight? If not, that can cause the primer punch to be off center.
    Good luck!
    Moon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast