Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dillon 550 owners-

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tip about getting in touch with Dillon. I bought my 550 used, and put out many thousands of rounds with the power measure getting less trustworthy all the time even though it has been on the same setting. More recently I have been confirming the powder measure for every 10th round on an adjacent scale (and that really slows down progress) just to be sure they were ok.

Feedback Score
    On my reloading records, one of the things I record are which powder bar is used, and how many turns from zero are required for a certain throweight.
    This serves two purposes; it speeds up the process of setting the powder bar, and it provides a failsafe. If 2.5 turns is supposed to give you 4.0 grains of Bullseye, and it only gives you 3.0, something is wrong...the bar setting, the powder scale, the data...
    I may well pull the powder tube off my press, and try washing it in dish detergent. I'd sprayed it with anti-static, and it hadn't helped.
    BTW, had one of those old Lyman measures, and a tapper with an eraser glued on for the upper end...two taps with the handle up, two with it down.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    On my reloading records, one of the things I record are which powder bar is used, and how many turns from zero are required for a certain throweight.
    This serves two purposes; it speeds up the process of setting the powder bar...
    One better: I have an extra powder bar for each caliber, which becomes part of the "caliber conversion" when I change calibers.

It's cheaper than having an entire extra powder measure mechanism, and I really hated resetting the powder measure everytime I changed calibers...

Feedback Score
    Actually, Bimmer, that is what I do as well; the advice was for those who hadn't stored up a supply of the charge bars. I mark them with permanent marker, and store them as set. We roundel guys are real smart fellers!
    BTW, when using the new, crank system for positive charge bar return, it is possible to cut off the post that was originally for the return springs; it makes storage of many bars much easier.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    One better: I have an extra powder bar for each caliber, which becomes part of the "caliber conversion" when I change calibers.

It's cheaper than having an entire extra powder measure mechanism, and I really hated resetting the powder measure everytime I changed calibers...
    Good idea. I bought an insert for each caliber for my Hornaday LNL AP when I had that. I dumped it long ago and don't why I didn't do this with the 650.

Feedback Score
    shadow', too lazy to dig out my catalog. Does the 650 take the same charge bars as the 550? They're not expensive.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    I mark them with permanent marker, and store them as set.
    I just leave each powder bar with the tool head and conversion kit that it goes with...

They're not expensive...
    They're $20-25 on eBay. Totally worth it to me...

Feedback Score
    shadow', too lazy to dig out my catalog. Does the 650 take the same charge bars as the 550? They're not expensive.
    Moon
    I'm not certain as I don't have a 550, but I'm pretty sure they use the same powder measure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    I'm not certain as I don't have a 550, but I'm pretty sure they use the same powder measure.
    Yes both bars and measures are the same across the board. I run them on 300's, 550 and 650's

Greg

Feedback Score
    Bimmer, didn't realize they were that pricey, but I haven't had to buy any outright recently.
    Dillon had sent me the new 'failsafe' powder measure, and I contacted them that my old charge bars were binding in the new measure.
    I had acquired a number of charge bars over 30 years, and, God bless 'em, Dillon replaced them all. Their customer service is first rate.
    But I concur, even if you have to flat out buy them; huge time saver, and it prevents mistakes as well.
    Moon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast