Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm AR Build - Am I missing anything?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I think the lower matters quite a bit and that the EndoMag is just a bridge too far with my combination of components. I may grab a lower if I find a black Friday bargain, or I may just cut my losses and build a dedicated 22 lr upper.
    Agreed. I think a dedicated lower is the best option, so much that I will be looking for another Black Friday deal on another QC10 lower for a dedicated PCC, already built the upper. This current one was my first ground up build and either I got really lucky or I just did enough research prior to ordering parts. Build the 9, it is the most fun piece I have. Everyone that tries it turns around with a huge smile after the first shot.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by locknload223 View Post
    Build the 9, it is the most fun piece I have. Everyone that tries it turns around with a huge smile after the first shot.
    I have enjoyed shooting mine, and have successfully run full 30 round mags through it without a malfunction. It's just a bit frustrating when it refuses to work.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    See nearby thread: My new Colt AR6951 has the problem that Federal 147 flat point won't cycle. 147 grain rounds in general are softer shooting in pistols, but that means they're less snappy than, say , Q4318 NATO 124 grain stuff. At least that's my experience.
    And the 147s jam up my Sub 2000. Maybe it's best to stick to the round nose loads on 9mm carbines.
    It just depends on the upper. My PSA and Faxon barreled uppers shoot my flat nosed 147 gr reloads just fine. I did have to increase seating depth a bit, then it was 100%.
    Yes, 9mm ARs can be a bit finicky compared to 223 until you get it sorted out. My tips: 1. If you use a drop-in trigger, get one made expressly for the AR9. Otherwise you can experience doubles and out of battery firing. Ask me how I know. The CMC 9mm drop-in is great.
    2. Increase buffer weight to about 7 or 8 oz with the extended buffer length made for 9mm ARs.

With some tinkering, there is nothing more fun to shoot.

Feedback Score
    Before I had to Californicate mine I had what I would call the normal 9mm build issues. On an individual basis making the Colt Style ASC mags work, was the most challenging, but I worked that out and now the thing runs reliably. I'm using a CMMG upper and a RRA 9mm Magwell Conversion Block. As said above everyone that shoots loves it.

Feedback Score
    I’d stick with a good single stage trigger.
    The Endomag is a nice alternative to a magwell insert but a dedicated lower is the way to go.
    I run a Hahn drop in magwell insert and Colt style mags and it runs everything including hollow points and truncated bullets.
    I also ran a PSA Glock mag lower with a Rock River 9mm upper and it ran fmj just fine but not hp or truncated. The RRA barrel had no feed cone and the Glock mags fed up at an angle rather than horizontal like the Colt smg mags. So if you go Glock, get a generous feed cone.
    I run an 8.5 oz buffer, runs light 115 gr. just fine but heavy enough for NATO and +p loads. If you run hot loads, I’d get a heavier buffer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderson View Post
    I’d stick with a good single stage trigger.
    The Endomag is a nice alternative to a magwell insert but a dedicated lower is the way to go.
    I run a Hahn drop in magwell insert and Colt style mags and it runs everything including hollow points and truncated bullets.
    I also ran a PSA Glock mag lower with a Rock River 9mm upper and it ran fmj just fine but not hp or truncated. The RRA barrel had no feed cone and the Glock mags fed up at an angle rather than horizontal like the Colt smg mags. So if you go Glock, get a generous feed cone.
    I run an 8.5 oz buffer, runs light 115 gr. just fine but heavy enough for NATO and +p loads. If you run hot loads, I’d get a heavier buffer.
    I agree with you....My build was a lot of spare parts, but my reason for Colt Style was I have a bunch of Uzi mags...easy conversion and can still be used in either gun. Simple GI trigger. The other nice feature of a drop in Mag Block....Remove it, swap the upper, change the buffer and spring and you can use the lower for any other caliber. I don't need to do it, but its a nice feature.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12