Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When is Ammo Too Old

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure if the cloth lining would negate the problem, but brass against leather (I assume tanning process determines the level) can corrode brass quickly also.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Not sure if the cloth lining would negate the problem, but brass against leather (I assume tanning process determines the level) can corrode brass quickly also.
    All of the ammo that is kept in magazines is in the leather carry on bag that is lined with a tight weave, most likely nylon fabric. The ammo has not spent more than a year in the mags, but all of it is discolored (tarnished) in the same way. Not just the ammo exposed at the top of the mag. I would have never given it a second thought had not a rep at Sig mentioned that it looked "old or in very poor condition". I'll add that the fired ammo does look somewhat more tarnished than b4 being ejected as a hot hull. Possibly there is out-gassing from the leather, although it is a well matured carry on bag of about 20+ years. It actually makes a nice ammo bag for the range with all the mags loaded and labelled and easy to see. I'm getting from reading replies that the discoloration (tarnished look) could not in any way create feeding issues.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Jeez, 3-4 years old is "brand new" to me.
    Very much so. I haven't bought a case of ammo in probably 8-10 years.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    Possibly there is out-gassing from the leather...
    When in doubt, drop a VCI tab in the bag. I use them all over the place, because I live underwater (in the PNW).

This assumes you do NOT keep paper in the bag... VCI yellows paper.

I'm getting from reading replies that the discoloration (tarnished look) could not in any way create feeding issues.
    Never say "not in any way." Shiny brass is slick, and tarnished brass is less slick. (This is why some premium ammo uses nickel cases.)

If it were my go-to SHTF ammo, I would want it shiny. If I'm taking it to the range, then I'm not worried.

Feedback Score
    Cool dry place?

50-100+ years.

The oldest ammo I've fired was 5 rounds of .32 S&W (short). I think it was made in the 1920's (based on the story / family history of the gun they had been loaded in) but no way to be certain. They looked fairly bad and I wiped off a lot of corrosion so they'd fit well in the cylinders.

Fired it from a Ruger LCR over a chronograph. All fired, none gave a reading. 😔 it felt slightly weaker than fresh Magtech .32 s&w short.

I should have painted the bullets or something so maybe they'd read. Ah well.

I've also seen @15 yr old .223 stored in a Florida attic that was ruined by the heat. (Bullets could be pulled by hand, cases split on about 1/3 of them. Was about 1200 rds)
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-26-19 at 09:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All of the ammo that is kept in magazines is in the leather carry on bag that is lined with a tight weave, most likely nylon fabric. The ammo has not spent more than a year in the mags, but all of it is discolored (tarnished) in the same way. Not just the ammo exposed at the top of the mag. I would have never given it a second thought had not a rep at Sig mentioned that it looked "old or in very poor condition". I'll add that the fired ammo does look somewhat more tarnished than b4 being ejected as a hot hull. Possibly there is out-gassing from the leather, although it is a well matured carry on bag of about 20+ years. It actually makes a nice ammo bag for the range with all the mags loaded and labelled and easy to see. I'm getting from reading replies that the discoloration (tarnished look) could not in any way create feeding issues.
    I don't think yours is to the level of being an issue at all.

I don't think age has any effect on leather vs. brass corrosion. I have stripper clip pouches from the 50's? That still do it. A (better) discussion here of what I am referring to.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...rosion.776545/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    All fired, none gave a reading. �� it felt slightly weaker than fresh Magtech .32 s&w short.
    Weird... My chrono reads 38 caliber bullets down to < 300fps, and it picks up 22LR and even 17HMR bullets perfectly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Ammo inserted into a magazine in a dry environment, like your home, should still look basically new 30 years later.....maybe a small amount of oxidation. In addition to looking new, 30 year old ammo will still perform as new.

Did you store this ammo in the bathroom next to the shower?
    Most of mine is in the house so, dry environment. Some of it and all the older stuff is in ammo cans with gaskets in the garage, which is attached to the house but not heated. There's definitely extra dampness in the garage, since we're in the PNW. I've stored dessicant packs in each can, but don't renew them often enough. Haven't seen any drop in reliability or significant corrosion, but I have to think this is going to impact on shelf life.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just finished up 500 rounds of 22lr my father just gave me. The ammo was older than I am, and I'm turning 50 in a few months. I'm sure it was in his garage for most of that time under less than ideal temperature and moisture conditions. Only about 3 or 4 duds in the whole lot.
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    ive been wondering about this
    for example the IMI m193 1,200 round cases (boxes) I purchased a couple and have kept them in their original brown box instead of putting them in ammo cans

wondering if its a better idea to put them in ammo cans if I only plan on saving the ammo and not shooting it anytime in the near future

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast