Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Springfield Armory Hellcat pistol

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)

The new Springfield Armory Hellcat pistol

Feedback Score
    Not what I was expecting, but glad to see it. I don't have a lot of faith in the company (just previous experience), but like you say, competition is a good thing.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have more faith in Sig, than I ever will SA, and I really don't trust Sig handguns.

It will sell, they are the ultimate Boomer company. I'm sure it will be priced good, with smart magazine and "range kit" bundles.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The new Springfield Hellcat is obviously a head-to-head competitor to the P365. It is slightly longer (+0.2"), slightly shorter in height (-0.3"), and slightly heavier (+0.5oz) than the P365. Capacity is +1 vs P365: 11rd vs 10rd mags, and 13rd vs 12rd. Don't see any indication of higher rd mags, but maybe those come later. Like the Sig, they included better than average sights with a front large tritium, to give usable sights you won't have to replace right away.

I don't have a ton of trust for either of these companies either, mainly due to some past firsthand experience of QC issues--which were widely repro'd in the shooting community. Sidebar: I don't get the 'boomer' comment tho, first of all you give no evidence to support that, but even if that could be shown to be SA's largest customer segment, what relevance does that have here? People of all ages that I know, including friends of my daughters in their 20's, and my 83-year-old dad, are carrying subcompacts. Who cares what demographic group most of a company's customers are in, whether race/religion/age, and what bearing does that have on QC, and reliability?

Also, both companies have a lot of product lines, and QC/reliability-wise, they do better in some lines than others. For instance with Springfield, at least some of their 1911's are consensus solid offerings (for one example, check out Ned's long-running Springfield thread in the 1911 forum) at their price point, and I've experienced that firsthand. Sig's recent P365 is a consensus solid subcompact (see the long-running thread on pistol-forum), after some early teething things were resolved. Again I can confirm that as a sample of 1, testing one personally against a Shield M2.0, so far super impressed, though it needs to get to a higher round count to confirm reliability.

Because the Sig is pretty well debugged, I'm not that interested in trying the Hellcat. But kudos to SA for effort, somewhat in the same vein that Ruger has done the last few years, for listening to customers and putting out a pistol with features that a lot of people actually want. To me the big Q, which I'll let others figure out, is whether SA can make a reliable polymer subcompact that you can trust for carry.
    Last edited by maximus83; 09-25-19 at 13:37. Reason: clarify sentence

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Their claim of "class defining firearms" or something was really overblown. I still like Springfield, but this release is really lame. It's just a single attack XD, and not something that I would pick over other, comparable firearms.

Feedback Score
    I am actually interested. It's the first non 1911 Springfield that has ever piqued my interest. It's not an XD so that's a plus. Top serrations are nice and I'm interested in the grip texture as well. Seems to pack a lot of features that I wouldn't expect from Springfield.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Their claim of "class defining firearms" or something was really overblown. I still like Springfield, but this release is really lame. It's just a single attack XD, and not something that I would pick over other, comparable firearms.
    It's not a single stack and it's not an XD. It would appear that they went back to the drawing board.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Their claim of "class defining firearms" or something was really overblown.
    Everything in the firearms industry is over blown.

GAME CHANGER
    CLASS LEADING
    REDEFINING

Switching topics, there is no way this is a 'single stack' XD with that grip length.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Looking on their website, several things jump out. It’s made in Croatia like the Xd’s. They’re burying the optic pretty deep on the OSP, so that you can see the irons through the window without resorting to extra tall sights. The optic they’re using even has a notch at the rear, so you can see more of the front sight through the window. The mag is a double stack like the G26. It looks like they took the width of these micro optics and designed the pistol around that measurement, ergo the 11+1 capacity. They enveloped the front and rear of the mag basepad with the grip, so as to give as much useable surface as possible and aid in removing the mag without moving parts of the hand out of the way for it to clear.

All in all I’d say they paid attention to a lot of details you don’t normally see get any attention at all. If it’s durable and reliable, it may siphon a lot of sales from the other EDC guns in its class.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/h..._hsmi=77271896
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Everything in the firearms industry is over blown.

GAME CHANGER
    CLASS LEADING
    REDEFINING

Switching topics, there is no way this is a 'single stack' XD with that grip length.
    Thank god 6920s exist then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast