Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What should my blood pressure be after running?

Feedback Score

What should my blood pressure be after running?

I've heard that it's normal for systolic blood pressure to be up during or just after running/exercise, but that diastolic should basically stay the same as when you just got out of bed in the morning.

My diastolic pressure when I've just gotten out of bed in the morning is usually in the 60s and sometimes 70s, but lately (last year-ish, I never really paid much attention before then) within 10/15 minutes after a 5 mile run my diastolic pressure is up in the low 80s, and just today it was in the low 90s which is a first.

Should I be worried?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not the answer you want to hear, but per my doctor blood pressure is always read and compared to "Normal" at rest. Your resting diastolic is in the normal zone.

My guess during exercise, hydration becomes a significant factor as that one change (dehydrated or not) can throw everything out of whack.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    Not the answer you want to hear, but per my doctor blood pressure is always read and compared to "Normal" at rest. Your resting diastolic is in the normal zone.

My guess during exercise, hydration becomes a significant factor as that one change (dehydrated or not) can throw everything out of whack.
    I'm kind of a blood pressure checker fanatic, so I start to freak out about anything that seems different. Your doctors answer makes me feel a little better, but I'm still pretty paranoid about it.

Thanks! And hopefully more people will chime in before I bring it up with my doctor.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You’re running 5 miles in a given workout.

Your BP is fine dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    You’re running 5 miles in a given workout.

Your BP is fine dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm starting to feel better about this, but I can't say that I feel great after a 5 mile run... I usually feel like crap by the time it's over, and for a good chunk of the rest of the day too. Though I'm not really sure if that's normal or not because I've never compared notes with anyone about running.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Edit.....
    Last edited by Arik; 09-26-19 at 07:04.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Everyone's BP changes hundreds of times through the day based on exercise, stress, food (i.e., caffeine and stimulants), and a host of other factors. No one cares about a few highs or lows. No one. What providers do care about are trends.

Stop worrying.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    I've heard that it's normal for systolic blood pressure to be up during or just after running/exercise, but that diastolic should basically stay the same as when you just got out of bed in the morning.

My diastolic pressure when I've just gotten out of bed in the morning is usually in the 60s and sometimes 70s, but lately (last year-ish, I never really paid much attention before then) within 10/15 minutes after a 5 mile run my diastolic pressure is up in the low 80s, and just today it was in the low 90s which is a first.

Should I be worried?
    No. And you should stop checking your blood pressure. Your obsession with it is probably affecting your blood pressure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Everyone's BP changes hundreds of times through the day based on exercise, stress, food (i.e., caffeine and stimulants), and a host of other factors. No one cares about a few highs or lows. No one. What providers do care about are trends.

Stop worrying.
    Okay, I did notice that cutting caffeine/coffee for about a little over a month lowered my resting blood pressure about 10 points on both the systolic and diastolic numbers, and I also felt better while exercising.

Though I'm back on the coffee now (have been since early/mid August) and I'm thinking that I need to quit it again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    No. And you should stop checking your blood pressure. Your obsession with it is probably affecting your blood pressure.
    You mean cut it out completely? I've always felt like it's a good idea to keep tabs on myself. Only getting it checked when you go to visit the doctor a couple times a year is not a very big sample size to go off of.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast