Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What should my blood pressure be after running?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    No. And you should stop checking your blood pressure. Your obsession with it is probably affecting your blood pressure.
    This.

The anxiety surrounding your BP is more detrimental to your health than anything. You're exercising, which when combined with healthy lifestyle choices is far more important than arbitrary numbers.

Also: if it's a wrist BP cuff, those are notoriously inaccurate and I can't tell you how many times I've had patients argue with me that their BP is high or low after I just auscultated one that's different than their wrist cuff. I've also had to demonstrate to patients that an automated upper arm BP can be thrown off by flexing muscles and movement.

Don't sweat it, consult with your PCP during your regular check ups about any health concerns you may have.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm told it's pretty typical, but my Distolic number is normally slightly lower after a workout. Your capillaries dialate, etc.

Systolic usually varies with exertion, largely tracking heartrate. And is raised by caffeine, anxiety, etc. Distolic not so much... more determined by your physiology.

Not a doctor, refer to one if you have questions. Just how it was explained to me by cardiac docs and nurses.

The other thing is I see numbers 10 to 15 higher with even pro grade electronic measurement versus that done by a nurse manually. The hospital/office ones seemed to do a bit better, but you're normally sitting down and have been for a while.

To be accurate the electronic cuff mfgs say you need to be sitting down and have not moved (walked) for 20 minutes prior.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    This.

The anxiety surrounding your BP is more detrimental to your health than anything. You're exercising, which when combined with healthy lifestyle choices is far more important than arbitrary numbers.

Also: if it's a wrist BP cuff, those are notoriously inaccurate and I can't tell you how many times I've had patients argue with me that their BP is high or low after I just auscultated one that's different than their wrist cuff. I've also had to demonstrate to patients that an automated upper arm BP can be thrown off by flexing muscles and movement.

Don't sweat it, consult with your PCP during your regular check ups about any health concerns you may have.

This I disagree with, everytime I go to my Dr I take my cuff and it always reads almost the exact same as what the nurse gets using their equipment. In addition I was recently watching a Soviet space capusle land in Russia from the International Space Station and when the astronauts came out the hatch the very first thing the american dr did to the American astronaut was to put a BP wrist cuff around his arm. They work.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    This I disagree with, everytime I go to my Dr I take my cuff and it always reads almost the exact same as what the nurse gets using their equipment.
    I work at an agency that runs 130,000 911 calls a year and we do not use automated BP cuffs. I auscultate (conservatively) around 10,000 blood pressures annually.

I run this exact scenario: "My machine says my blood pressure is high/low".

So I'll take a manual BP that is different. Maybe not significantly, 10-20mmHg in your SBP is insignificant in the larger picture (in my environment, Pt presentation trumps numbers) but it's definitely different. I've had Pt's with wrist cuffs that are SIGNIFICANTLY different...one that stands out recently was a geriatric living alone who's wrist cuff told them their BP was something ridiculous like 78/46 and I auscultated something around 130/70 and they wanted to argue vehemently that I did not know what I was doing and that the machine is right.

Roger that.

I'm a sample of one Paramedic in the big, violent sea of Atlanta- but I do trust what I hear and feel over an automated BP and can say with confidence that non invasive blood pressure monitoring is less accurate than auscultation or an arterial blood pressure.
    Last edited by GTF425; 09-26-19 at 13:00.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    When I was in the bus I usually auscultated the first, then the rest were electronic if they correlated (within 10 mmHg). When I was a RN in the ED, it was always electronic unless it just plain looked wrong (you know), was not clinically correlated, or a trauma/critical care patient. You know when an electronic BP is FOS.

Electronics are only as good as they are manufactured or QA'd. Some are spot on. Some aren't.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    When I was a RN in the ED, it was always electronic unless it just plain looked wrong (you know), was not clinically correlated, or a trauma/critical care patient. You know when an electronic BP is FOS.
    Similar experience here.

Every critical patient in my region receives a manual, hands on set of vitals collected by an RN during transfer of care. The reason being that a computer algorithm will not dictate a Pt's hemodynamic status when there are trained hands and ears in the room that are more accurate and faster.

They'll throw the auto cuff on after a Pt is stabilized or during imagery.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I work at an agency that runs 130,000 911 calls a year and we do not use automated BP cuffs. I auscultate (conservatively) around 10,000 blood pressures annually.

I run this exact scenario: "My machine says my blood pressure is high/low".

So I'll take a manual BP that is different. Maybe not significantly, 10-20mmHg in your SBP is insignificant in the larger picture (in my environment, Pt presentation trumps numbers) but it's definitely different. I've had Pt's with wrist cuffs that are SIGNIFICANTLY different...one that stands out recently was a geriatric living alone who's wrist cuff told them their BP was something ridiculous like 78/46 and I auscultated something around 130/70 and they wanted to argue vehemently that I did not know what I was doing and that the machine is right.

Roger that.

I'm a sample of one Paramedic in the big, violent sea of Atlanta- but I do trust what I hear and feel over an automated BP and can say with confidence that non invasive blood pressure monitoring is less accurate than auscultation or an arterial blood pressure.
    You cite one example of a geriatric living alone who cant use a blood pressure cuff, REALLY? That makes them inaccurate, oh man.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Similar experience here.

Every critical patient in my region receives a manual, hands on set of vitals collected by an RN during transfer of care. The reason being that a computer algorithm will not dictate a Pt's hemodynamic status when there are trained hands and ears in the room that are more accurate and faster.

They'll throw the auto cuff on after a Pt is stabilized or during imagery.
    So please enlighten all of us who want to monitor our blood pressure on a daily basis at home, how are we suppose to do it lol?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    So please enlighten all of us who want to monitor our blood pressure on a daily basis at home, how are we suppose to do it lol?
    Do it consistently, sitting down, with a quality machine. I find them consistent, if not absolutely accurate.

I have to be careful about arm positioning such that I don't accidentally tense my bicep, etc. That will for sure throw them off.

Rest your arm on a table or chair arm, etc.

Feedback Score
    This.

I have the arm cuff versions, and I try to be pretty consistent about how I use them. Though I've gone nuts with them at times, sometimes taking up to 10 readings a day. Now I usually only take 1 reading in the morning and 1 or 2 after I run.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast