G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Optic Choices for AR

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0

    Optic Choices for AR

    Looking for a good short to midrange optics for my AR. I currently have a cheaper Vortex AR Sparc II from a few years back but looking to upgrade.

    I understand the cry once, buy once statement, however I have do not have access to many optics and my local gun shops do not have all the options to review, so I cannot try before you buy. So I am asking for help so I do not cray multiple times (within a budget).

    I want something battle proven, reliable, fast targeting on both CBQ - 200 yrds if possible. Would prefer to hear feedback from those in service, that abuse the shit out of their guns, although I know my budget at roughly $450 is small (willing to save for more if necessary).

    Current Optics I am Looking at:

    Eotech EXPS2 - Love it, but expensive. Company reputation??

    Vortex Razor AMG UH-1 - Newer with no track recorded...Looks like a single wide.

    Aimpoint Pro -Looking for a Holographic, but would be my go to Red Dot

    Trijicon MRO - Possible next best red dot in the small budget???

    Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by xzebra; 09-25-19 at 19:45.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    789
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    If the SPARC II works fine, why change to another RDS optic?

    Iíve never used an Eotech, and have a Vortex UH-1 in the mail, so canít speak to the holographic sights.

    IMHO between the PRO and MRO, theyíre about equal; the Aimpoint gives reputation/reliability and the MRO is a little easier to look through (for me), lighter, and seemingly durable. About the same $$.

    Iím not the expert. Iíve just gotten into the optics side of things and am now experimenting with LPVO. Figured Iíd share my limited experience.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,732
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you were looking for a first time purchase I would go with one of the dots you are mulling, but I think the biggest plus you will actually see with the PRO/MRO would be increased battery life. I assume the 4 have better water resistance, but not sure if you would ever benefit from that. Durability is probably a wash since your Sparc has ran for awhile.

    I have a PRO and like it. Liked the MRO I handled, but not enough to switch....yet at least....size and watch battery are very nice. I did not like an Eotech I got to shoot, but obviously plenty who do.

    If you are wanting to try something new, I would vote on looking at an LPVO considering you mentioned midrange distance. The magnification is a plus on small targets for me at least.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-26-19 at 10:10.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    701
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    If you were looking for a first time purchase I would go with one of the dots you are mulling, but I think the biggest plus you will actually see with the PRO/MRO would be increased battery life. I assume the 4 have better water resistance, but not sure if you would ever benefit from that. Durability is probably a wash since your Sparc has ran for awhile.

    I have a PRO and like it. Liked the MRO I handled, but not enough to switch....yet at least....size and watch battery are very nice. I did not like an Eotech I got to shoot, but obviously plenty who do.

    If you are wanting to try something new, I would vote on looking at an LPVO considering you mentioned midrange distance. The magnification is a plus on small targets for me at least.
    Agree with this. I would go with the PRO out of those options

    If you could up your budget just a bit and wanted to look into a LPVO:

    Steiner P4Xi 1x4. Great value and is durable. Dot is red dot bright and good up close and 4x for the longer shots/identification would be nice.

    Vortex PST 2 1x6- another good optiona nd it has come down in price to around $599

    Burris XTR 2- The prices on the 1x4 and others are under $500 for some at Natchez. Very good optic for the price

    If you wanted to go less than $400

    Burris RT6- these get really good feedback and many consider best option on the lower end

    Primary Arms 1x6 FFP Raptor- I usually dont like FFP in a LPVO but this is a well thought out reticle. Garandthumb has a good video on this optic

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,856
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ^Those are solid LPVO options, but I understood from OP examples and "CQB within 200 yards" to mean he wants non-magnified and lightweight.

    OP all the ones you list are solid and would work. Personally I value toughness, clarity, a great sight picture, and battery life--which usually leads to an Aimpoint. One issue with Eotechs and the Vortex is that battery life is far less than the Aimpoints. I've been running one Aimpoint for 6 years and the battery is still going. However something I don't like about the Aimpoints T1/T2 I have run is the red dots are not as crisp as they could be (T2 is marginally better), and they get worse if you have any astigmatism at all.

    I'll suggest one other option besides Aimpoint in your budget range: Primary Arms Cyclops. Read up on that sight, I just got one and pretty impressed so far. Actually moving away from Aimpoint T1/T2 on HD rifles, selling the T1 + AD mount shortly due to my astigmatism, and this PA *might* be my replacement. Glass etched reticle so you have built-in backup when your battery goes TU. Adj diopter to fit your correction. Weighs about 9oz. Awesome reticle with ballistic holdovers. 3000h est battery life on med settings. Obviously not as 'combat proven' as the Aimpoint, what else really is with this type of sight, but the PA has been run through some serious torture testing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    420
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Really need to figure out what your priority is.

    Close range/non-magnified or scoped with magnification?

    If you don't mind the weight and expect primary usage to be outdoors, I'd rec magnification with 1x-

    If primarily indooors/under 100 yards, then stick with non magnified. Aimpoint has the rep they do for a reason. I'd stick with Aimpoint for serious usage.

    I prefer the Micro over the PRO, currently own both. PRO and QRP mount is just too damn heavy for an unmagnified optic.

    red dot light & fast

    magnified for extended range (doesn't work as well at shorter ranges unless cheek weld is pretty good)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    ^Those are solid LPVO options, but I understood from OP examples and "CQB within 200 yards" to mean he wants non-magnified and lightweight.

    OP all the ones you list are solid and would work. Personally I value toughness, clarity, a great sight picture, and battery life--which usually leads to an Aimpoint. One issue with Eotechs and the Vortex is that battery life is far less than the Aimpoints. I've been running one Aimpoint for 6 years and the battery is still going. However something I don't like about the Aimpoints T1/T2 I have run is the red dots are not as crisp as they could be (T2 is marginally better), and they get worse if you have any astigmatism at all.

    I'll suggest one other option besides Aimpoint in your budget range: Primary Arms Cyclops. Read up on that sight, I just got one and pretty impressed so far. Actually moving away from Aimpoint T1/T2 on HD rifles, selling the T1 + AD mount shortly due to my astigmatism, and this PA *might* be my replacement. Glass etched reticle so you have built-in backup when your battery goes TU. Adj diopter to fit your correction. Weighs about 9oz. Awesome reticle with ballistic holdovers. 3000h est battery life on med settings. Obviously not as 'combat proven' as the Aimpoint, what else really is with this type of sight, but the PA has been run through some serious torture testing.
    Thanks for all the help - I am looking just for Holographic or Red Dot leaning towards Eotech at the time. I had a PA 1-6, but hated it and sold it and want to go to a solid short to midrange optic which is why I am looking at those mentioned.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,339
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Depending on what your standard for accuracy is, a red dot with a magnifier might get you there. It depends on what is most important to you, where you think you can compromise, and how much you're willing to spend.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Park City, UT
    Posts
    99
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Situations like this are exactly why we buy and sell used quality optics. Nearly everyone ends up changing their optics over time. For many, such as the OP, there is not an easy way to try out various optics options. Therefore, you end up buying it just to try it.

    To the OP's original question. I like the Trijicon MRO, rather than a holographic sight, because of battery life and size.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,219
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RKB Armory View Post
    Situations like this are exactly why we buy and sell used quality optics. Nearly everyone ends up changing their optics over time. For many, such as the OP, there is not an easy way to try out various optics options. Therefore, you end up buying it just to try it.

    To the OP's original question. I like the Trijicon MRO, rather than a holographic sight, because of battery life and size.
    FWIW, I have purchased 4 used optics on the EE here and all have been as described or better.

    I have a PRO and an MRO - prefer the MRO for the weight and the standard battery that can be found anywhere.

    Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •