Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DPMS problem

Feedback Score

DPMS problem

Asking for a friend(seriously), he has a recently bought new to him but like new DPMS carbine. He is having failures to feed after the first hand cycled round from each mag, no matter the number in the mag. I noticed it is not as smooth and easy to work the charging handle as my rifle, and am wondering if the problem may be a over strength buffer spring. The guy he got it from says all parts are factory and he only had about 20 rds thru it.
    Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    By the way, should have mentioned we have tried various mags and same result. Sorry for the oversight!

Feedback Score
    Did you contact DPMS? What did they say? I'm sure people will come around to give you a plethora of things to try, but this is what I would do first.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd start with a thorough cleaning and a tad wet lubing of the bcg, charging handle, and a very light lubing of the buffer spring. There are multiple examples of failure to feed. Exactly what is this one doing? For example, does it not strip a round from the magazines, partial strip, jammed up in the lugs, etc?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Ask him to reach out to DPMS as tehpwnag3 suggested and also break the rifle down and clean and lube the parts bama mentioned, make sure the feed ramps are clean as well. I usually dose my bolt and area where the gas key rides in the CH. After you remove the BCG, how does the bolt feel in the carrier? I’ve had some bolts that fit right into the BCG, usually that’s not a problem and is fairly common, but you can check that. It may only have 20rd thru it but if it has set up for a while and was never cleaned and lubed after he or the original owner purchased it, then it’s possible it has some preservative gunk in it. Is the BCG hard to actuate due to the spring or does it feel like it’s catching or hanging up on something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    All of the things mentioned above we have tried. I did suggest early on a call to DPMS but I haven't heard anything back from my friend yet. The way he described the issue to me was the second round would not feed at all. I advised him about the lube and gave him some literature on it and I did check his bolt and found it to be okay. I even dropped the bolt in my gun and it worked just fine(hand charged and dry fired).
    When he hears back from DPMS I'll let y'all know.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Feedback Score
    Hand-cycling the action will not replicate the extraction of a case that fire formed (expanded) in the chamber. If the extractor and extractor spring are suspect, they may work just fine by hand.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstephens202 View Post
    All of the things mentioned above we have tried. I did suggest early on a call to DPMS but I haven't heard anything back from my friend yet. The way he described the issue to me was the second round would not feed at all. I advised him about the lube and gave him some literature on it and I did check his bolt and found it to be okay. I even dropped the bolt in my gun and it worked just fine(hand charged and dry fired).
    When he hears back from DPMS I'll let y'all know.

Thanks for all the replies guys!
    When you say various mags...they are known good ones I assume?

Won't feed at all...does that mean the bolt is actually coming far enough back to push the round out of mag, or is it a possible bolt over base? The bolt hitting the body of the round . Has he tried a lock back test?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The instructions on new DPMSs say that you're supposed to lube them thoroughly before using. I bought a 308 DPMS upper many years ago that had the same issues until it was well broken in. Lube is likely the answer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Does the bolt lock back on the last shot?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast