Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Moving in Camouflage

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    To answer the OP's original posed question: "Will a solid color work better than a pattern for a person moving?"

That's almost like saying: "Is a red or black car faster?"

It's very non sensical in that the human eye detects movement very well. We don't even have color vision in our periphery , yet that part of the eye is very sensitive to movement. I worked nights, and learned you can almost see shapes and movement better by not looking directly at the area of surveillance. My point being, it doesn't matter what color or pattern you are wearing; most eyes can detect it if you are moving. When Carlos Hathcock low crawled through the field to get his infamous shot, he citied that he was moving only inches per hour. Slightly faster if the wind was moving the vegetation to create natural movement around him.
    So why didn't Carlos Hathcock wear a flashy red outfit then?

Feedback Score
    Good camo has saved my life dozens of times. Players run right by and don't see me at all if I don't move. I mean if you are NC wearing blue zebra camo you can't expect much camouflage from it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use Carhart yellow/brown insulated overalls and or bibs and hooded coat with latex paint applied w/brush to be ideal.
    When conditions change, new shades are applied over the old.
    Works on your web gear just as well, sounds strange but is very adaptable in the cold seasons here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure what the answer is, but I have had guys crawl right past me wearing an old olive drab field jacket in the early paintball days and I was in brown shrubbery. I wasn't moving very much, but I found it pretty unbelievable. I also went unseen a bunch using an unconventional venom gear camo (it used subdued skulls - come on - it was paintball). I think it is more the wearer and how they move then the wear itself.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Not to mention that the vast majority of people aren’t in tune with their environment and don’t know how to move or look or to see things that break the natural pattern. People don’t know how to “see” anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    In Europe and Scandinavia the laws often are a little different. People are allowed to camp on land without obtaining permission as long as it's 50 or 100 m from buildings or similar.

There are typically restrictions on noise, fire size and such.

Their laws about public transit on land are a bit different.

Some countries it's just culturally accepted as reasonable. In others they are not happy about it but the law allows it.

I could see stealth or low key camping as being a thing there.

I just took down a tent someone left on my back property, probably kids but someone was camping. If they had asked I would have given them permission with some conditions.
    I came across a guy, had a British accent who was doing that very thing within a wooded suburban area. He wanted to find a camping spot that was away for houses and walking paths and roadways. I remember thinking, "Get the heck out of town you chucklehead." Not realizing that is an actual "thing".

I practice something of stealth camping whenever I fish/hunt/camp by myself, I just never called it "stealth camping" Aside from it sounding creepy like JP said, it just sounds super millennialish or maybe dorkish.

I don't know what it is, but I just automatically seek and maintain a small footprint and practice noise and light discipline. I don't even have to remind myself. Not 100% dark, but I definitely am drawn to areas with more cover, build my fire to be as smokeless as possible, using the right wood and I don't go around with a 500,000 lumen spotlight.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm there, for a very long time I went way out of my way to find tents in subdued colors. Which is much harder than you would think almost by design.

In the UK there is a concept called Green laning which has to do with Lane's that are maintained as public access right of way on private land.

I don't know all the European laws, but I've seen the regulations for Norway and it's definitely a thing... have to stay a certain distance from residences, no loud noises after a certain time, no property damage, etc.

Having travelled in Norway some, my guess is most of the people would leave it as clean or cleaner as when they arrived. So I'd probably be okay with allowing some trekking Norwegians to camp on my back property.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345