Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving in Camouflage

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I understand deer are not the point, just giving my observations from spending a lot of time in the woods. Short answer- moving while being in a person's field of view will get you busted no matter what you are wearing. A good camouflage that breaks up your outline will make it more difficult for a person to determine what they are actually seeing move.
    I am going to put you down as a "no".

Feedback Score
    Guys, deer do not have stereoscopic vision, humans do. Deer may not see all the colors we do. Some animals probably see infrared. Deer and boar when born have spots because they lie in brush and don't move when a predator comes. Adult deer and boar are solid colors and are moving away, leading the predator away.

I have lived in a forest since 1988 and am out there daily with my dogs.

Gentlemen, I want to know what you think as a human---what you think humans see, not what you think animals see or do or see.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Gentlemen, I want to know what you think as a human---what you think humans see, not what you think animals see or do or see.
    So do I have near infrared capability or not?

But seriously, camo significantly helps when there is no movement or slow movement. No contest.

It's less effective with movement, but I do not at all believe that solid colors are better. Camo's capability to break up outlines helps even when moving.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just wear a ghillie and you are good. LMAO

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    In my experience, I would have to agree with below. But this is not something I have gone out and tested extensively just my own perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    So do I have near infrared capability or not?

But seriously, camo significantly helps when there is no movement or slow movement. No contest.

It's less effective with movement, but I do not at all believe that solid colors are better. Camo's capability to break up outlines helps even when moving.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    In my experience, I would have to agree with below. But this is not something I have gone out and tested extensively just my own perspective.
    Care to elaborate?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only way I can think of a solid color being better at hiding movement (and this is a huge maybe) is with a similar solid color background.

I can recall reading about beach landing training where it was demonstrated to the class that white clothes at night on a sandy beach would blend in better than black or camo, but that seems to be a extremely narrow useful window.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-28-19 at 12:28.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Elaborating would be that it is harder for me to see movement with people in camo than people in solid colors. I am talking like RealTree and camo of the sort. Hence, my perspective, but I have not had friends go out in different camo patterns and compare their movement against solid colors. This is just basic hunting/camo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Elaborating would be that it is harder for me to see movement with people in camo than people in solid colors. I am talking like RealTree and camo of the sort. Hence, my perspective, but I have not had friends go out in different camo patterns and compare their movement against solid colors. This is just basic hunting/camo.
    I see people in camo in the woods all the time.

Realtree is a very dark pattern and also very non-differentiated. Beyond 25 yards to me it's just not effective at all, just looks like dark brown. Woodland is dark at a hundred yards, but works a little bit further out than realtree and mossy oak does.

The old ASAT (which I used to use) works good at breaking up outlines but depending on background will standout based on color. OK for some animals but humans would not be fooled except at distance.

There is a mossy oak pattern that is good for hunting in late fall as it has large blocks as well as works good up close. (Bought a bunch on closeout at academy or wal-mart one year). I also use three color DCU late fall as it breaks up outlines pretty well.

A-TACs, A-TACs FG, and multicam all work good at both. They all have macro patterns that work well at distance breaking up outline, but also work good up close. They also have decent night/IR patterns, which older patterns like woodland did not.

I like A-TACs FG as it's very clear you're not trying to be Multicam Mike Tactical Timmy and it works well in my area even in winter. And I think beets even multicam in early fall, summer and spring when the leaves are still on the trees. Multicam is probably the best all-around though.

None of this answers your original question.

I absolutely don't believe solids beat camo in typical situations, but I will wear olive or dark brown if I want to be in the woods and not wearing camo.

When I walk or maintain my back property line I'm usually working and don't want to tear up camo. But also don't want to stand out and give adjacent homeowners concern as their backyards back up to my property. I'm not hiding, just don't really want to advertise my presence. I wear a lot of Olive and slate gray Carhartt pants. If I'm out in the woods a lot of times I'll throw on a woodland or three color DCU BDU jacket, mainly for pockets. But usually ditch that if I'm working.

Sometimes it's immaterial as I'm on a bright orange tractor that can be seen and heard a half mile away.

Also wear a lot of dark gray, though it's not necessarily a natural color. Blue is the worst, followed by red purple orange, etc.

Long time ago I used to test camo by laying it out on a bush or against a tree across the clearing and see how close or far I could pick it up.

If you want to go solid Olive or a very dark khaki is hard to beat. The Carhartt yellow-brown I don't like as much, it really stands out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Red, White, and blue are good ways to draw fire in turkey areas.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast