Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving in Camouflage

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    The only way I can think of a solid color being better at hiding movement (and this is a huge maybe) is with a similar solid color background.

I can recall reading about beach landing training where it was demonstrated to the class that white clothes at night on a sandy beach would blend in better than black or camo, but that seems to be a extremely narrow useful window.
    And this is exactly what I am talking about. Solid green set against a similar green color background as the Marines used in Vietnam was my example. In that setting your eye would have to pick up a shadow of movement, so to speak, instead of a flash of dissimilar colors to the forest.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    And this is exactly what I am talking about. Solid green set against a similar green color background as the Marines used in Vietnam was my example. In that setting your eye would have to pick up a shadow of movement, so to speak, instead of a flash of dissimilar colors to the forest.
    So you do know OG107 olive was used in VN because they did not have issued camo yet?

As soon as ERDL issue camo hit OG was largely phased out. Like most things, it took a while and OD utilities hung around for a bit until BDUs in woodland were fully issued..

Marines got ERDL first and faster than Army in VN. But both converted as fast as they could.

It was a surplus store heydey, big piles of slant pocket OG109, cheap, cheap, in the late 60s, early 70's.

I still have some ERDL, both lowland and highland variants. (Sadly outgrown from my college size)

I wish I still had some of the slant pocket OG 107 "Jungle", but it was not a super color nor used by choice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    History Channel had a show on camo around the time MARPAT came out and they had a Marine being interviewed about US uniform effectiveness. Solid OD, woodland, and I think tiger stripe and WWII patterns were mentioned and each one got the comment it worked great when issued, but not so much so when faded. Then MARPAT got discussed and it worked great too, but no mention on fading.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I don't think color has anything to do with it. Movement is movement and your eye catches it so well. Interesting topic though. I kinda go back to old timers wearing Red and Black Filson outdoor wear knocking down big bucks. Or my friends in Ky wearing bright orange all over themselves. Camo is brilliant marketing and WE get to wear cool looking shit that also has the benefit of being waterproof, silent etc. I own stupid amounts of camo. Only turkeys can appreciate my Sitka gear.

Stay sneaky ?

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-29-19 at 20:12.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    So you do know OG107 olive was used in VN because they did not have issued camo yet?

As soon as ERDL issue camo hit OG was largely phased out. Like most things, it took a while and OD utilities hung around for a bit until BDUs in woodland were fully issued..

Marines got ERDL first and faster than Army in VN. But both converted as fast as they could.

It was a surplus store heydey, big piles of slant pocket OG109, cheap, cheap, in the late 60s, early 70's.

I still have some ERDL, both lowland and highland variants. (Sadly outgrown from my college size)

I wish I still had some of the slant pocket OG 107 "Jungle", but it was not a super color nor used by choice.
    I did not know this. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    In discussing stealth camping, the subject of camouflage came up. Of course they have great camo available to them in Germany but this person told me words like---Camouflage is great if you remain stationary but if you are moving, solid colors are less detectable.
    One thought that came to my mind (such as it is) was that there is a lot of differences between different kinds of "camo" -- most aim to break up the supposedly distinctive outline of a person and many do (or did) this with relatively contrasting blobs of different "natural" colors [think the old US military Woodland camo or British DPM]. I think these are the camo patterns most likely to be more detectable while moving.

Others try to mimic a specific generic background (although specific and generic are always at least somewhat in conflict) [think any of the MossyOak patterns]. These are most effective if the camo is a really good match for the natural background, but in most cases the pattern elements are small enough that at a distance the pattern blends visually into just a general color and tone rather than looking like anything specific.

Finally there are camo patterns that use a lot of small elements (often called digital although that is a fake word to describe oversize square pixels like a digital image magnified too much). [Think UCP] Those small elements are arranged into larger groups similar to older patterns but the small elements at the edge of the groups make the groups seem to fade together at longer distances - thus eliminating the sharp edges that would catch an observer's eye when in motion.

I certainly have no proof, but I would expect the most effective would be a camo pattern with generally the right basic color and no clearly visible pattern when seen at the distance involved.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Give me enough time and my brain clicks on. Watch Brent0331 sitting still and moving in a wide variety of uniforms and terrains.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Brent0331
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-30-19 at 21:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I goofed it

Feedback Score
    Check out our current military vehicles and if you want more check out other nations (allies, of course).

Feedback Score
    Solid colors certainly aren't the worst thing if utilized correctly. But a good neutral pattern like Multicam or any of the earth-toned A-TACS variations are great. As previously stated the micro/macro pattern coupled with varying neutral tones of greens and tans are hard to beat.
    A-TACS FG is my personal favorite.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]59016[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast