Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Moving in Camouflage

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 77nodnarb View Post
    Solid colors certainly aren't the worst thing if utilized correctly. But a good neutral pattern like Multicam or any of the earth-toned A-TACS variations are great. As previously stated the micro/macro pattern coupled with varying neutral tones of greens and tans are hard to beat.
    A-TACS FG is my personal favorite.
    I'm seeing the A-TACS FG (and A-TACS in general) fade from supply, which is a bit surprising. Luckily there are some FG clones out there. It's very good for my area, beats MC for many situations. And is not "tactical" wannabee looking.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Lol, I am not sure if it was RealTree, Mossy Oak or something else....I don’t use hunting camo. Just have some multi-cam stuff myself (chest rig, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I see people in camo in the woods all the time.

Realtree is a very dark pattern and also very non-differentiated. Beyond 25 yards to me it's just not effective at all, just looks like dark brown. Woodland is dark at a hundred yards, but works a little bit further out than realtree and mossy oak does.

The old ASAT (which I used to use) works good at breaking up outlines but depending on background will standout based on color. OK for some animals but humans would not be fooled except at distance.

There is a mossy oak pattern that is good for hunting in late fall as it has large blocks as well as works good up close. (Bought a bunch on closeout at academy or wal-mart one year). I also use three color DCU late fall as it breaks up outlines pretty well.

A-TACs, A-TACs FG, and multicam all work good at both. They all have macro patterns that work well at distance breaking up outline, but also work good up close. They also have decent night/IR patterns, which older patterns like woodland did not.

I like A-TACs FG as it's very clear you're not trying to be Multicam Mike Tactical Timmy and it works well in my area even in winter. And I think beets even multicam in early fall, summer and spring when the leaves are still on the trees. Multicam is probably the best all-around though.

None of this answers your original question.

I absolutely don't believe solids beat camo in typical situations, but I will wear olive or dark brown if I want to be in the woods and not wearing camo.

When I walk or maintain my back property line I'm usually working and don't want to tear up camo. But also don't want to stand out and give adjacent homeowners concern as their backyards back up to my property. I'm not hiding, just don't really want to advertise my presence. I wear a lot of Olive and slate gray Carhartt pants. If I'm out in the woods a lot of times I'll throw on a woodland or three color DCU BDU jacket, mainly for pockets. But usually ditch that if I'm working.

Sometimes it's immaterial as I'm on a bright orange tractor that can be seen and heard a half mile away.

Also wear a lot of dark gray, though it's not necessarily a natural color. Blue is the worst, followed by red purple orange, etc.

Long time ago I used to test camo by laying it out on a bush or against a tree across the clearing and see how close or far I could pick it up.

If you want to go solid Olive or a very dark khaki is hard to beat. The Carhartt yellow-brown I don't like as much, it really stands out.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    In regards to A-TACS FG fading, don't buy Propper. The 65/35 poly cotton "battle rip" blend they use(d) is garbage as far as color-retention is concerned. I had two sets that faded drastically after only a couple of washes. I switched to Tru-Spec 50/50 nyco FG's when they came out and they're 100x better as far as color and durability are concerned.
    Moot point though. A-TACS unfortunately and stupidly discontinued their FG and AU patterns in favor of their "X" patterns.
    Last edited by 77nodnarb; 10-01-19 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 77nodnarb View Post
    A-TACS unfortunately and stupidly discontinued their FG and AU patterns in favor of their "X" patterns.
    This was what I was referring to. Should have said mfg support was fading... tru-spec and propper both discontinued in A-TACS. Some clones are still available, and some $$$ Browning regular A-TACS.

Feedback Score
    Great stuff about camo: http://www.invisib.com/camo-improvement/index.html
    It's worth of reading.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Do the deer down there usually start turning grey as the weather gets colder?

An oddity, saw one Wednesday evening while setting stands that was very dark grey...much darker than any I recall seeing before.
    "Swamp/Wetland Deer"? Serious question.

Keith

Feedback Score
    I have seen some dark brown and almost black deer. and Kieth is right. Swamp deer can be almost black. I shot a doe about 10 years ago was so dark, you could have mistaking it for a light colored bear. And it was in a swamp.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
    "Swamp/Wetland Deer"? Serious question.

Keith
    No, not any swampy marshy areas of any size. This is the eastern edge of central KY. Rolling terrain, mix of cleared farms and mixed(various hardwoods and hemlock) forests, and lots of flowing creeks and rivers.

Depending on fall weather, deer here sometimes get the grey hue by modern gun season in November or sometimes closer to new years if fall has been warmer. Even in cold years I don't recall seeing one this dark of a grey.

Western KY around LBL is where full on swamp land starts to be seen.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Deer on my property have already turned from tan to gray, some darker shades. But not black

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    To answer the OP's original posed question: "Will a solid color work better than a pattern for a person moving?"

That's almost like saying: "Is a red or black car faster?"

It's very non sensical in that the human eye detects movement very well. We don't even have color vision in our periphery , yet that part of the eye is very sensitive to movement. I worked nights, and learned you can almost see shapes and movement better by not looking directly at the area of surveillance. My point being, it doesn't matter what color or pattern you are wearing; most eyes can detect it if you are moving. When Carlos Hathcock low crawled through the field to get his infamous shot, he citied that he was moving only inches per hour. Slightly faster if the wind was moving the vegetation to create natural movement around him.
    Last edited by turnburglar; 10-13-19 at 12:13.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast