Thread: G19 w/ MRDS + Compensator and G43x vs. G19, G43x, and Colt 1911 Wiley Clapp?

Feedback Score

G19 w/ MRDS + Compensator and G43x vs. G19, G43x, and Colt 1911 Wiley Clapp?

I am in the process of purchasing a few new firearms in the next couple of weeks. This is probably a better thread for the General Discussion forum, but it involves handguns, so... here we are.

OPTION A) Originally, I had planned on getting a Gen 5 GLOCK 19 + Slide milling, RMR, Barrel/Compensator and then a GLOCK 43X and calling it good.

I recently was rethinking this.

OPTION B) I could spend roughly the same amount of money and get the same combo, but without the slide milling, RMR, comp, etc. on the GLOCK 19 and then also get a Colt Wiley Clapp Government Model.

I know this is not a very serious question. I also know I have not given any info about other firearms that I own and the roles in which they fill. That is for a reason.

Given the information provided, and only that information.... which route would YOU choose and why?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd go with option #1 due to the RMR and 43X.

Don't get me wrong, the Wiley Clapp looks solid, but without any other info, combo one seems more usable for more people.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Option A

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Option A with addendum. Skip the comp unless you really want it. I have both a 19 with RMR and comp and a 19 with only and RMR. It’s neat and I use it in completions but not needed for daily carry.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    I agree with you ggammell. I will most likely end up with a comp on it one day — but if I don’t, I don’t. It honestly is the last thing on the list, with my main priority going towards the RMR and learning the ins and outs of having an MRDS equipped handgun.

Both of these will be for daily carry, and will be replacing a Gen 4 G19 and a G43. They will be rotated based on what I’m wearing, weather, etc., and if I don’t like them, I will have the Gen 4 and 43 to fall back on.... though I doubt that will be the case.

I appreciate those who commented. I figured it wouldn’t get much action in the way of replies, but the fact that it was 3/3 on OPTION A, it just confirms what direction I believe I should go.

The 1911 would have been carried sparsely, if at all. It’s use would have mostly been something just to have and shoot on occasion. I’m sure I will own one down the line, probably not even a Wiley Clapp, but as of right now... I know which direction to take.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The reason this didn't get much replies was because how the question was posed. I saw the thread earlier this morning and deemed it not worth my time, given lack of specificity about the purpose and needs.
    I would've chosen modified option A. In fact, that's what I did myself:
    - I do like Gen 5 Glocks but not enough to dump my Gen 4. I actually know people who shoot Gen 4 better than 5. If you want Gen 5, have at it, I think it is a better generation but it won't do anything better than Gen 4. Or 3. My Gen 4 is milled for RMR, has serrations cut in and does everything I need it to.
    - I did dump the 43 in favor of 48. Having both at the same time allowed to play with 43, 43x and 48 configurations, and I chose the one that I liked best.
    - I have very special words about comps on carry guns,and comps on 9 mm guns, but I don't want to offend others here.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    The reason this didn't get much replies was because how the question was posed. I saw the thread earlier this morning and deemed it not worth my time, given lack of specificity about the purpose and needs.
    I would've chosen modified option A. In fact, that's what I did myself:
    - I do like Gen 5 Glocks but not enough to dump my Gen 4. I actually know people who shoot Gen 4 better than 5. If you want Gen 5, have at it, I think it is a better generation but it won't do anything better than Gen 4. Or 3. My Gen 4 is milled for RMR, has serrations cut in and does everything I need it to.
    - I did dump the 43 in favor of 48. Having both at the same time allowed to play with 43, 43x and 48 configurations, and I chose the one that I liked best.
    - I have very special words about comps on carry guns,and comps on 9 mm guns, but I don't want to offend others here.
    Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat has a Carry Comped 1911. These stem from the days of 1911 in 45acp shooting in competitions.
    An Officer model with a comp or even a Commander length is the same or shorter than a 5" 1911. Adds weight to the front also.
    Ken Hackathorn has some blunt straight forward thoughts about comps on 9mm and I'm not about to argue with his opinion.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    Of the pistols listed, I'd get two G19's with tritium sights, and spend the rest of the budget on ammo.