G&R Tactical
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: AK-74 burn-down test (Russian)

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,613
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    I've heard it from both sides. Generally the people looking at the layout- assumed that they would run them on auto since auto is the first position. However those in the AK business would state the AK was purposely designed so that panicked soldiers would push that selector down till it stops- which is on semi auto to help the soldiers focus. Personally I think it's an accidental attribute just based on the limitations of the mechanical function of the selector.
    I don't think any military designs a weapon feature based upon soldiers who panic.

    I think post WWII the Soviet union had a mostly "spray and pray" SOP and let the snipers do the sniping. As the Soviet Union developed a more modern military the AK platform was refined accordingly.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,818
    Feedback Score
    0
    Granted, I enjoy watching these types of tests/videos on occasion.

    But....
    These are very unrealistic rates/volumes of fire.

    Sure, you can spiral your torso in a ring of quick kydex or stand next to a table of drums,
    And it makes a great video.

    Throw a dozen AK mags into some chest pouches or double up on Alice LCE AR mag pouches,
    Get in the prone, look out of your foxhole, Or,
    Start doing Iím Up, He Sees Me, Iím Downs burning a mag each down,
    And see what rate and volume of fire you can keep up.

    Classic combat load was 7 mags, extended was 13- either with SAW pouches or doubled up ammo pouches.

    Would an AR or AK fail burning one mag at a time at typical dig out of an old school pouch in the prone speed,
    And could you do it with just your mechanic or nomex flight gloves?
    ďWhere weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.Ē

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    5,150
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I enjoy watching these crazy videos. Its just nuts that rifles can take these extreme torture test, even if its a sample of one. These guns survive longer that I would expect had I not seen such videos. I watched a guy burn up a M4, much like this video years ago.

    PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Midwest Flyover Country
    Posts
    3,529
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Would an AR or AK fail burning one mag at a time at typical dig out of an old school pouch in the prone speed,
    And could you do it with just your mechanic or nomex flight gloves?

    AK's generally heat up quick and the ones with wood handguards begin to smoke within two mags.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 10-09-19 at 15:33.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,621
    Feedback Score
    0
    These videos are always fun to watch, but I cringe at the waste of a fine weapon. What would have been the lifespan (round count) of that barrel if it hadn't been abused?
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    216
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    These videos are always fun to watch, but I cringe at the waste of a fine weapon. What would have been the lifespan (round count) of that barrel if it hadn't been abused?
    Claimed barrel endurance under a regular mil use for AK-74 - 12k rounds. I've heard semi-official numbers as low as 10k and as high as 15k. With 12k being most commonly cited. Not sure if corrosive ammo is taken into consideration for this estimate. From what I've seen and heard 18-20k is achievable for some in civilian use.

    7.62x39 will probably significantly outlast that number given a proper maintenance.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,268
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've always believed the AK having automatic on the first notch of the selector was purely for mechanical convenience. It would have been a more complex solution to change the order.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Midwest Flyover Country
    Posts
    3,529
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    Claimed barrel endurance under a regular mil use for AK-74 - 12k rounds. I've heard semi-official numbers as low as 10k and as high as 15k. With 12k being most commonly cited. Not sure if corrosive ammo is taken into consideration for this estimate. From what I've seen and heard 18-20k is achievable for some in civilian use.

    7.62x39 will probably significantly outlast that number given a proper maintenance.

    I ran tons of 5.45 through one particular Arsenal SLR 105, my favorite rifle of the rifles I own with easily 20K plus- maybe close to 25K rounds through it. I could still hit 6" steel plates at 220 yards last time I had it out running it with a 4x Russian optic off the bench. I've heard you can get upwards of 35K on semi auto as long as you don't run them to hard- which I never do. Plus side is I bought into the 5.45 ammo back when it was cheap so the cost savings alone on ammo pay for the rifles which eventually get re-barreled if needed.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 10-11-19 at 10:22.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,140
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    I ran tons of 5.45 through one particular Arsenal SLR 105, my favorite rifle of the rifles I own with easily 20K plus- maybe close to 25K rounds through it. I could still hit 6" steel plates at 220 yards last time I had it out running it with a 4x Russian optic off the bench. I've heard you can get upwards of 35K on semi auto as long as you don't run them to hard- which I never do. Plus side is I bought into the 5.45 ammo back when it was cheap so the cost savings alone on ammo pay for the rifles which eventually get re-barreled if needed.
    So I'd take it that you're of the belief that the steel in the bullet jackets isn't a significant factor in barrel wear?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Midwest Flyover Country
    Posts
    3,529
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    So I'd take it that you're of the belief that the steel in the bullet jackets isn't a significant factor in barrel wear?
    Never said that. It's a factor but you have to weigh out whether the cost savings is enough to offset that. So run the price of the cheapest steel cased ammo and figure what you save over the cheapest brass multiplied by whatever number of cases you want to run to decide whether if it's worth it. Example for me, my avg price over say ten tins of 5.45 ($156/1080= 14.4 cents per round) versus running brass 5.56 (Wolf Gold $275/1000= 27.5 cents per round)- I save $1405.08, so that pretty much pays for the rifle itself. However 5.45 and especially 7.62x39 are running at lower pressures than 5.56 which is why I've run some well past 20K rounds while still being able to hold decent accuracy. I don't let the rifles heat up much either, I just run through a few hundred rounds at a time per range session switching between rifles to let them cool down. I haven't even barely touched my stash of 5.56 so that's for when I'm older or SHTF. FYI this is also why I switched back to AR's and run AUG's- being able to swap barrels easily.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 10-11-19 at 12:06.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •