Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "I can shoot 300BLK 500 yards" .... No, you can't...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

"I can shoot 300BLK 500 yards" .... No, you can't...

I want to say that I have been looking into 300BLK since it was introduced by Robert Silvers back in 2013. I completely understand that it was meant to replace the mp5 for low signiture ops by highly specialized units. If the marketing stated it was only a 200m gun and left it at that, I wouldnt be making this post. All kinds of charts were used to show the round beats 556 in energy transfer, while only having 'minimal' amounts of drop. Travis Haley even made a video on 300BLK, where he claims to just "use holds" to extend the range of 300BLK too 750m (shown in video at 7:10).

Granted I dont actually own a 300BLK upper, but I have experience with my 10.5 and think its a 350M gun. The steel just stops moving much, and I dont think holding super high to get hits is 'combat effective' either. I was so happy when 9 hole reviews put up thier own take on 300BLK, and even shoot it with a 556 reticle to show the real comparison in drop. What I like most about their channel is that they have ran the exact same course of fire with so many other firearms you can make a easy comparison to other calibers. After watching the 9 hole video I am much less caliber curious, and will just keep feeding the 10.5 556 gun I already own.

Travis Haley:

https://youtu.be/tgKjbySsAik

9 Hole reviews:

300BLK
    https://youtu.be/3ClXW2wIF64

10.5 556
    https://youtu.be/SdTNUvV9KyM
    Last edited by turnburglar; 09-29-19 at 11:31.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    I have a .300 Blackout pistol. I shoot 125 gr Nosler BTs at 2250 FPS.

I am just above sea level, DA typically runs 2000-2500 in my AO during some months.

I haven’t shot mine past 500 yards. But I have trued it to that range.

My load stays supersonic to 800ish hard +/- depending on DA of the given day.

750 yards would require 11.2 mRads of elevation. Relatively speaking, that would be similar to shooting my .308 at 1100 yards with 175 gr Sierra Matchkings.

While it may seem like quite a feat to take the blackout to 750, I know I could do so. Just “winging it”, no but with elevation adjustment and a spotter certainly. I have shot my .308 with a 10x Mark 4 successfully beyond 1,200m.

I don’t know whether or not Travis Haley has been successful with BLK at 750, but I know I could ring steel at that range if I do desired. Hell, I’ve seen guys take 5.56 to 1500. I have made hits at 1200 consistently with 5.56. The desire to shoot Blackout at 750, I just don’t have it. To what end? It would have less than handgun terminal performance at that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is the point to compare distance to maximum effective range or something else?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    9-Hole reviews remind me of a polite Eurodriver. They shoot their rifles without making excuses for them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Is the point to compare distance to maximum effective range or something else?
    I mainly wanted to share 9 hole reviews as a channel, and thought debunking the 'hold just a little' myth was a good way to start.

@ lsllc shooting anything with 11.2 Mils of come up is a feat only for the most experienced of shooters and requires decent optics. I guess I am mainly trying to address all the marketing that AAC and Travis Haley himself put out over 300BLK being able to reach similar distances than they can do with a 556 gun. That simply isnt the case, as 9 hole review clearly shows the rainbow like trajectory. My own 14.5 shooting 77gr needs only 7.2 mils for a similar 750 yard target. 4 mils is a pretty significant difference.

I guess I used to be very caliber curious and the more and more I get into the weeds of it; 556 really does seem like all ya need. The only AR I own in a caliber other than 556 I just went straight to 308, because that is who everyone else is trying to be anyways.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I mainly wanted to share 9 hole reviews as a channel, and thought debunking the 'hold just a little' myth was a good way to start.

@ lsllc shooting anything with 11.2 Mils of come up is a feat only for the most experienced of shooters and requires decent optics. I guess I am mainly trying to address all the marketing that AAC and Travis Haley himself put out over 300BLK being able to reach similar distances than they can do with a 556 gun. That simply isnt the case, as 9 hole review clearly shows the rainbow like trajectory. My own 14.5 shooting 77gr needs only 7.2 mils for a similar 750 yard target. 4 mils is a pretty significant difference.

I guess I used to be very caliber curious and the more and more I get into the weeds of it; 556 really does seem like all ya need. The only AR I own in a caliber other than 556 I just went straight to 308, because that is who everyone else is trying to be anyways.

You act like that this is some kind of news to somebody. I don’t think anybody ever thought .300 BLK was a laser. It’s been compared to a reliable way to get a quiet gun with a short barrel and similar to 7.62x39 terminal ballistics in terms of energy release.

Maybe you don’t need a .300 BLK. Cool.

If you wanted to discuss the YouTube channel then just do it. You don’t need an excuse of rehashing the same stuff that’s been said repeatedly since before your ever heard of .300 BLK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    People say silly things about 300 BLK that they would be ridiculed for saying about 7.62x39...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    300 at medium/long range makes zero sense TO ME because you'd be wanting/needing super sonic loads which defeats the purpose of the niche the round fills.

If it were an inherently accurate round, it might be fun just for the challenge. But as pointed out, it's design wasn't for laser accuracy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I don't have a 300 BLK but if I did it would have a 9" barrel and the only load I would use is the 110 TSX.

If you want to shoot further than about 100M you may as well use a 5.56 with a much longer barrel than that.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In my mind 300BO is perfect for SBR, even more so suppressed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast