Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "I can shoot 300BLK 500 yards" .... No, you can't...

Feedback Score
    Euro, how far was the deer four. From where it was impacted?

I’m not a big fan of lung-shots, but rather heart shots. Animals can go a long way on one lung. Further, I’ll imagine Euro didn’t field dress the lost animal, but if he had, I’ll wager internally, he missed the important structures and that inadequate blood trail meant only an experienced tracker would have recovered the animal.

And again, depending on bullet, a Blackout at 500 isn’t dissimilar from a .308 at 1100-1200. I wouldn’t want to shoot deer with it at that range with .308, but snipers have certainly put human beings down at that range.

Nobody ever marketed the .300 Blackout as a long range round, and certainly not an intermediate range hunting round.

In the instance of 400 yards for the .300 BLK, it would have retained energy of 500 FPE and around 1400 FPS. Barnes will tell you the bullet was designed to work at a velocity of something like 1800-2600 FPS. Perhaps if intending to stretch to those ranges, a 110 V-Max would have a lower velocity threshold or a 125 gr BT may have better retained velocity.

Euro simply used the wrong tool for the job, and outside the parameters outlined by the manufacturer. The Blackout is an excellent hunting round from point blank to 300 yards.

If you’re intending to kill anything with subsonic rounds, consider it a .45 ACP and not a rifle. It’s asinine to consider subsonic rounds for game or defense outside nearly point blank range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    Not that I’m a proponent for shooting like this, but I’ll add my experience.
    I shot at old dish washers at a buddies ranch a few weeks ago. 880 yards (half mile)
    Already had my 308 dialed in and picking “which quarter of the dishwasher do I want to hit next?”
    Then I moved onto a different dish washer and had to try my 9” 300 blk suppressed with 220gr subsonic handloads. Only using an Eotech XPS.
    Picked a random holdover, puff of dust 10’ in front of dish washer. Held a little higher, puff of dust just past the dw. (You’ll need a good spotter with a good scope to figure it all out)
    Held in between the two holdovers and started dropping rounds all over with many being into that dishwasher. We found 16 holes in the dw out of a 30 round mag. So yeah, if you have the time any gun could drop rounds into anything. Are they still effective? probably not. In a real situation would your target stay still until you figured out the hold over? Again, probably not. But that’s my experience and thought I’d share.
    If it's poking holes in a dw at 880 yards sounds to me like it's still pretty effective, I wouldn't want to get hit by one. Like with the 45-70 or 110-120 you launch a heavy bullet at a somewhat low velocity with a rainbow trajectory they can still be effective at extended range if you can hit the target.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 10-17-19 at 15:07.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    This entire thread reminds me of an issue as old as shooters. Example follows:

" I can use my M9 (9mm) to hit the 250m popup target on the qualification range. "

Technically that statement IS true and I have personally done that...however it ignores a laundry list of important things starting with 'Why?' and 'How many shots did that take?' (hit it during second magazine, 2 times with third magazine once holdover was ballparked) and last but not least 'Who was paying for ammo'.

Long heated discussions later always end with same answer: 'Pick the right tool for the job'

You can hammer a screw with a pair of pliers if ya want, doesn't make pliers the greatest tool out there.

*posted because M4carbine.net is threating to delete accounts if no posts.

Feedback Score

"I can shoot 300BLK 500 yards" .... No, you can't...

Quote Originally Posted by VictusB View Post
    This entire thread reminds me of an issue as old as shooters. Example follows:

" I can use my M9 (9mm) to hit the 250m popup target on the qualification range. "

Technically that statement IS true and I have personally done that...however it ignores a laundry list of important things starting with 'Why?' and 'How many shots did that take?' (hit it during second magazine, 2 times with third magazine once holdover was ballparked) and last but not least 'Who was paying for ammo'.

Long heated discussions later always end with same answer: 'Pick the right tool for the job'

You can hammer a screw with a pair of pliers if ya want, doesn't make pliers the greatest tool out there.

*posted because M4carbine.net is threating to delete accounts if no posts.
    Not even comparable as I posted earlier. Ballistics are a thing a .300 Blackout with the right bullet at 500 is ballistically similar to .308 at x range.

X range for .308 is never called out as “incapable”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You can take a bullet like a Hornady 155gr ELD-M, and load it up to say 2050 fps from a 16" barrel.

At 500 yards it will need about 20 moa elevation correction, and hit with over 1300fps/600 ft-lbs.

Just depends how you load it up.

In comparison, I often shoot my 308 to 1000-1200 yards, where I'm needing anywhere from 35-45 moa of elevation correction. Hitting with roughly 1200 fps/500 ft-lbs.

I'm at 4000ft ASL.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    If it's poking holes in a dw at 880 yards sounds to me like it's still pretty effective, I wouldn't want to get hit by one. Like with the 45-70 or 110-120 you launch a heavy bullet at a somewhat low velocity with a rainbow trajectory they can still be effective at extended range if you can hit the target.
    Should have clarified...not just poking holes. 100% pass through and honestly the entrance and exit holes did not show a downward angle. They seemed pretty straight through with the exit hole being about twice the size of the entrance hole.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    300BO is certainly not the best choice for a 500 yard shot, especially for taking a deer sized animal.

But it should be noted that with Barnes 120 gr Tac-Tx ammo, fired from a 16 inch barrel, you would still see a nominal 440 ft lbs remaining, along with over 1100 fps velocity at the 500 yard mark.

IOW, about what you'd have at the muzzle of a Glock 19 firing good quality 125 grain ammo.

Or, put yet another way, consider that a 2700 yard or so kill shot was made on a human being by CPL. Craig Harrison around 10 years ago, using a .338 Lapua, throwing a 250 grain bullet. When that bullet struck, it had about 500 pounds of energy (about 50 more ft.lbs than the 300BO at 500 yards) but was also traveling at just around 960 fps.

So, personally, with someone at the trigger that understands the math as well as able to apply it, I would not wish to be scoped at 500 yards with a weapon chambered in 300BO, if the ammunition selection was good.
    Last edited by kahrshooter; 11-13-19 at 00:18.

Feedback Score

I'll contribute. I have a 16" 1:8 pistol-gassed rifle. I went up and down the ladder with different loads for awhile with "meh..." results. I mostly shot 147gr m80 (both new and pulls) as they are typically the cheapest for bulk loading this round. I initially ran a co-witnessed eotech and then a strike eagle 1-6x. I wasn't really that impressed over all. It was a fun run'n'gun setup in that configuration to go smack plates. But for anything over 200yds any true accuracy was negligible. Mostly just guesstimating holdovers and arrogantly taking credit for lucky 1st round hits. I was seriously considering just swapping out the barrel for another 5.56. I decided otherwise and am glad I did.
    I've more or less settled on a "really great, but not excellent" combo. I picked up a Primary Arms ACSS 1-6x with the 300/x39 reticle. Then stocked up on a bunch of Speer 125gr TNT fbhp and charged them with H110/296(18.1gr) for an average of ~2100. Initial 50yd zeroing produced 1/2" 5 shot groups after some tuning. Nothing special, I know. The game changer for me was using the scopes BDC reticle to land 1st round hits on 8"steel plates from 200-400yds and landing subsequent hits well past 500yds on rocks that were laser-ranged. The BDC reticle in the PA scope (iirc) is laddered for 123gr 7.62x39. That translates over to a 125gr black load more/less 1:1. My take-away from this was that I have an intermediate-caliber rifle that I feel confident shooting at 'applicable' intermediate ranges. I know it's not a precision round built for distance but there's no reason it can't be effectively stretched a bit.
    I can't tell you what the ft-lbs or the retained energy is at the targets but I can tell you it's a bitch having to repeatedly run out hundreds of yards to rehang 1/2" x 8" 500 plates because the hit lifted it off of it's (usually secure) t-post hanger. So there's definitely some energy displacement being exerted.
    My logic here is that it could be effectively employed as a "decent" field gun for intermediate ranges in a familiar and comfortable platform.
    But the most important thing is that I've had fun playing with this combo.
    Last edited by 77nodnarb; 12-30-19 at 00:54.

Feedback Score
    As someone interested in 300blk, this is my current view:
    11.5+” barrel, 556 when possible
    If you need to go below 10”, 300 offers better ballistics, and adds subsonic capability.
    Once I build a 300, its to bridge the gap between an 11.5/10.3 556 and a 9mm subgun or handgun.

As with anything else, there are inherent limitations, and personal limitations. You need to actually use your shit to know what YOU can do with your gear, because thats all that matters.

On that note, just because you cant do something, doesnt mean others cant... but being able to do something once doesnt mean its your “capability”. Repeatable performance is what matters.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-20-19 at 22:01.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I want to say that I have been looking into 300BLK since it was introduced by Robert Silvers back in 2013. I completely understand that it was meant to replace the mp5 for low signiture ops by highly specialized units. If the marketing stated it was only a 200m gun and left it at that, I wouldnt be making this post. All kinds of charts were used to show the round beats 556 in energy transfer, while only having 'minimal' amounts of drop. Travis Haley even made a video on 300BLK, where he claims to just "use holds" to extend the range of 300BLK too 750m (shown in video at 7:10).

Granted I dont actually own a 300BLK upper, but I have experience with my 10.5 and think its a 350M gun. The steel just stops moving much, and I dont think holding super high to get hits is 'combat effective' either. I was so happy when 9 hole reviews put up thier own take on 300BLK, and even shoot it with a 556 reticle to show the real comparison in drop. What I like most about their channel is that they have ran the exact same course of fire with so many other firearms you can make a easy comparison to other calibers. After watching the 9 hole video I am much less caliber curious, and will just keep feeding the 10.5 556 gun I already own.

Travis Haley:

https://youtu.be/tgKjbySsAik

9 Hole reviews:

300BLK
    https://youtu.be/3ClXW2wIF64

10.5 556
    https://youtu.be/SdTNUvV9KyM
    Embed:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234