Euro, how far was the deer four. From where it was impacted?

I’m not a big fan of lung-shots, but rather heart shots. Animals can go a long way on one lung. Further, I’ll imagine Euro didn’t field dress the lost animal, but if he had, I’ll wager internally, he missed the important structures and that inadequate blood trail meant only an experienced tracker would have recovered the animal.

And again, depending on bullet, a Blackout at 500 isn’t dissimilar from a .308 at 1100-1200. I wouldn’t want to shoot deer with it at that range with .308, but snipers have certainly put human beings down at that range.

Nobody ever marketed the .300 Blackout as a long range round, and certainly not an intermediate range hunting round.

In the instance of 400 yards for the .300 BLK, it would have retained energy of 500 FPE and around 1400 FPS. Barnes will tell you the bullet was designed to work at a velocity of something like 1800-2600 FPS. Perhaps if intending to stretch to those ranges, a 110 V-Max would have a lower velocity threshold or a 125 gr BT may have better retained velocity.

Euro simply used the wrong tool for the job, and outside the parameters outlined by the manufacturer. The Blackout is an excellent hunting round from point blank to 300 yards.

If you’re intending to kill anything with subsonic rounds, consider it a .45 ACP and not a rifle. It’s asinine to consider subsonic rounds for game or defense outside nearly point blank range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk