Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "I can shoot 300BLK 500 yards" .... No, you can't...

Feedback Score

"I can shoot 300BLK 500 yards" .... No, you can't...

The Blackout is perfectly accurate. Mine shoots sub 0.75 MOA. I’ve been known to record some sub half’s from time to time.

I’m tempted to make a video shooting it to 500 just for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    People say silly things about 300 BLK that they would be ridiculed for saying about 7.62x39...
    this plus 1000!

The amount of BS on 300BLK on the internet is staggering.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mrgunsngear

Please do the 300/5.56 10.5 video.

Reality check people, all the intermediate assault rifle cartridges, 8x33, 7.62x39, 5.56 were designed with a effective range or 300-350 meters in mind. Yes you can hit targets at longer range, yes better bullets and optics can increase that range, yes in combat you might need to engage at longer distances but bottom line is intermediate cartridges are going to perform better at intermediate ranges. Pick your poison, learn to shoot it at the distances you want to and carry on.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SethB View Post
    I don't have a 300 BLK but if I did it would have a 9" barrel and the only load I would use is the 110 TSX.

If you want to shoot further than about 100M you may as well use a 5.56 with a much longer barrel than that.
    This post makes absolutely no sense to me. You’d have a barrel whose length is optimal for keeping 300blk subsonic and whose caliber was specifically designed to turn the light switch off and to do it very, very quietly. And all you’d shoot out of it was Barnes 110 TSX pills flying at supersonic speeds...

Yep don’t get that at all.

Shooting past 100 yds does not require a “much longer barrel” in 5.56. I don’t own a 9” 5.66, but I have one that’s a measly 1.3” longer and I scored hits on plates at 600yd the weekend before last. Granted if there were two consecutive hits that was probably luck, and also the issue was not my rifle but my eyeballs. At 320 and 400 My hit percentage improved considerably with both 10.3 and 12.5 using my MoY Crossfire red dot and my EOTech respectively, and that’s absolutely about as un-special as you can get. My son when he was 12 could do that. I do think if I had better eyeballs I would have gotten more consistent hits with my SBR’s at the further distance. My 14.5 with a 1-8 was a different story. Euro gets pretty consistent hits at 600 with his 12.5.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
    this plus 1000!

The amount of BS on 300BLK on the internet is staggering.

The amount of BS on this thread is literally staggering.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    This post makes absolutely no sense to me. You’d have a barrel whose length is optimal for keeping 300blk subsonic and whose caliber was specifically designed to turn the light switch off and to do it very, very quietly. And all you’d shoot out of it was Barnes 110 TSX pills flying at supersonic speeds...

Yep don’t get that at all.
    I can find some logic in that. Theres a general consensus that the 110 TSX is effective, and that subs are less effective. Supers like the TSX still get ok velocity from silly short barrels, and are the best choice for terminal effect. If one wants to have the absolute shortest suppressed rifle, Blk with a very short barrel makes sense because many silencer companies rate their cans down to 10-11.5” in 5.56, but 7-8” is a normal rating for 300 Blk. Some with a 7-8” Blk barrel rating don’t go below 16” in 5.55. Of course, there are many silencers today that have no barrel length restriction tied to their warranty at all, such as Dead Air, Griffin, Q, Rugged, etc.

A short list of cans you may recognize that are less restrictive on barrel length in 300Blk than 5.56:
    YHM Resonator, AAC SDN-6, AAC SR-7, TBAC Ultra, Gemtech Dagger, SiCo Omega

Of course, most of the people I meet that hype up the 300 have no intention of ever owning a can, or a registered SBR, and would be better served with almost any other chambering. But, “muh .30cal boollitz r better than puny .22 skwirrel gun. It’ll get you killt in Nam!” They say, between swigs of Natty Light.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I haven’t done the velocity testing on 7.62x39 with varying barrel lengths, but I have seen stuff published. Velocity/inch seems similar with commercial ammunition. I believe I’ve seen 10.5” commercial Blackout running 125s at 2100 and 10” 7.62x39s at 2100. This is from memory.

While the above linked video is quite good, it does negate one fact. The days before the .300 Blackout was commercialized, it was a wildcat with 100% hand-loaded ammo. Some of the conclusions such as “very little to gain over X” barrel length” hold water when selecting powders to load for it. The problem is this was repeated without context. Commercial production of the round changed things.

Looking at the powders used in 7.62x39, it does appear it would be more sensitive to barrel length than .300 Blackout.

7.62x39 uses around H322 burn-rate powders.

.300 Blackout used powders more like H110 and other magnum pistol powders.

The choice is obvious, if you hand-load, you will get less velocity loss in FPS/inch with a .300 Blackout vs 7.62x39. HAND-LOAD...not buying crap at Walmart.

My 10.3” I get just under 2300 FPS with 125 gr Nosler. The same load in my 16” .300 only got a touch over 2400. 100 FPS for 6” of barrel penalty? Yeah I’ll take the 10.3”. I’d imagine the same wouldn’t be possible with 7.62x39 with powders that work for it. No, you can’t simply put other powders in 7.62x39. Its not how it works.

Also, I’m not sure that you’ll find good commercial ammo for .300 with powders selected for SBR performance. They are loading bulk powders, likely the same powders, that are designed for 5.56 and 7.62x39.

A lot of this information muddies the waters when comparing the .300 Whisper, as it was known before commercialization, and the mass-produced .300 Blackout we have today.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Everyone wants to force 300BLK into their niche. It has various advantages and drawbacks over a range of uses.

300BLK has excellent terminal performance with the 110 TSX. That it's true even with barrels less than 10" makes 300BLK the most viable PDW available.

Subsonic has significantly lower terminal performance. I don't see a civilian use for it outside of fun and varmints. If you do use subsonic it's fine in a 16" barrel.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Everyone wants to force 300BLK into their niche. It has various advantages and drawbacks over a range of uses.

300BLK has excellent terminal performance with the 110 TSX. That it's true even with barrels less than 10" makes 300BLK the most viable PDW available.

Subsonic has significantly lower terminal performance. I don't see a civilian use for it outside of fun and varmints. If you do use subsonic it's fine in a 16" barrel.
    “Fine” is relative. I think if the 16” barrel was fine for subsonic use, we probably wouldn’t have nearly as many shorties. Fewer SBR’s and pistol 300bo’s. My experience with a buddies BA 16” BO barrel was subsonic ammo that was subsonic in my 8.3, pull a “Glamorous Glennis” out of his 16”barrel and it was not a one-off. It was repeatable. I’m no ballistic expert but I believe the longer the barrel, the more powder burn, the higher the velocity, the increased risk for a subsonic round to reach 1088 + FPS. That would be pretty lame on a hunt. Mainly, I don’t see the point in ignoring all of the research and testing AAC did to get the blackout where it is today. If I intended to use a 300 BO as an “AK killer” and have a larger caliber mid-range shooter, I would build a 16” BO. Other than that I don’t see the sense in having a 16” rifle for subsonic use.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Discreet Ballistics is one of the leaders in subsonic 300blk. They claim that a 1:5 twist can push the blk to 300yds and still get 12” penetration. RPMs matter as well as bullet construction.

Worth a read from their recent IG post: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3ZpQpqA...d=y8b38wfafec5

The caliber is maturing and it’s hunting applications with it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast