Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "I can shoot 300BLK 500 yards" .... No, you can't...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think the issue in many cases is that some folks want to force other people into their niche of the .300 BLK. Just because you think it doesn't work for you doesn't mean that it won't work very well for me. The .300 BLK has a very wide range of uses - sub/supersonic, barrel length, and a huge range of bullets both in weight and type.

With bullet development there has been even more ability to crossover in subsonic use with great expansion at lower velocities.

For me and my hunting buddy, the .300 BLK has been a very efficient with 16" barrel and supersonic ammo. Not trying to go quiet or anything else. It just works incredibly well for a clean harvest with no tracking and little meat damage at the ranges that we hunt. Which is normally inside 100 yards. I'd go to 200 if by some weird chance we had a shot that far.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I’m no ballistic expert but I believe the longer the barrel, the more powder burn, the higher the velocity, the increased risk for a subsonic round to reach 1088 + FPS.
    300BLK ammo should be made for a 16" barrel. Subsonic should be subsonic in a 16" barrel. I have shot thousands of 220gr Remington and 208gr Hornady and never had any go super out of a 16" barrel.

I don't know if it's a problem with your barrel or handloads/boutique ammo, but I don't think your results are typical.

I think the number of short 300BLK is a combination of, they look cool, have a reasonable OAL with a silencer, and great terminal performance in sub 10" barrels.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    ...I think the number of short 300BLK is a combination of, they look cool, have a reasonable OAL with a silencer, and great terminal performance in sub 10" barrels.
    Exactly how I justified a 7.5" 300 BLK upper.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So I actually went out and shot my buddies 300blk yesterday. It was a 16" so it had a little more velocity than the average BLK build, but it was a cool intro to the caliber. The range had steel targets from 100-500 yards shaped like small animals. The first thing I noticed was how bouncy 300 supers are compared to regular 556. Little more rock from the action. At 200 yards the BLK was already hitting the dirt when 556 could hold dead on. We where able to get some hits on the 500 yards steel, but the BLK required more than double what a 556 gun needed to get there. It's like walking in mortar fire. once you figure out the hold it had maybe a 33% hit ratio. Definitely a good replacement for a 9mm sub gun IMO. Really did feel like an AK round fit into the AR. My buddy is a pistol shooter and this was actually his first personal AR. He built it to shoot hogs, and we will see how that plays out.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    At 200 yards the BLK was already hitting the dirt when 556 could hold dead on. We where able to get some hits on the 500 yards steel, but the BLK required more than double what a 556 gun needed to get there.
    You need a 200 yard zero to start with. Look this kind of drop is not new, both the 8x33 K and the 7.62x39 experience the same thing and was dealt with using iron sights. Hell look at the old Sharps 45-70, 45-110's, you don't see Quigley and the buffalo hunters whining "soooo much drop". Not talking about turnburglar but lots of spoiled internet brats using modern optics want to bad mouth a cartridge instead of learning to shoot it effectively within it's performance envelope.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 10-16-19 at 08:50.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    I have the Primary Arms ACSS reticles on 7.62x39/300BO, and 5.56/308 optics.

The 500 yard reticle indexes are 17.7 moa, and 9.2 moa, respectively. So yeah, the 300 BO supersonic/7.62x39 does require almost double the elevation correction at 500.

I've shot the 7.62x39 out to 550 yards using the ACSS reticle. It is darn close. I was shooting Tula 124gr fmj, and some handloads using Hornady 155gr ELD-M.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    There’s two different discussions going on.

Travis shows what can be done with a known dope. Jerry Miculek has shot a handgun out to 1,000 too. Bullets go pretty far, and with the right wind hold and consistent SDs your dope will always be the same. In other words, it isn’t hard shooting a 300BLK out a long ways. Plenty of guys shooting ,22LR at 300 yards.

On the other hand, I have hunted with 300BLK Handloads using Barnes (TSX? TTSX? It’s been a few years) out of a 14.5” Noveske (basically the best case scenario for 300BLK) I’ve shot no fewer than 5 deer and one was out pushing 400 yards (I think I made a thread on it here. I’ll try to find it) I hit it right where you want to hit it, in the lungs, and that deer wasn’t found for two days. I thought I missed it and I stumbled on it by accident freezing cold covered in bugs.

I’ll never again push the range of a cartridge on live game. It’s unethical.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    You need a 200 yard zero to start with. Look this kind of drop is not new, both the 8x33 K and the 7.62x39 experience the same thing and was dealt with using iron sights. Hell look at the old Sharps 45-70, 45-110's, you don't see Quigley and the buffalo hunters whining "soooo much drop". Not talking about turnburglar but lots of spoiled internet brats using modern optics want to bad mouth a cartridge instead of learning to shoot it effectively within it's performance envelope.
    Completely agree with this. Its the guys that know their holds and can range effectively that are deadly not the dudes that need to bust out their ballistic calculators.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    There’s two different discussions going on.

Travis shows what can be done with a known dope. Jerry Miculek has shot a handgun out to 1,000 too. Bullets go pretty far, and with the right wind hold and consistent SDs your dope will always be the same. In other words, it isn’t hard shooting a 300BLK out a long ways. Plenty of guys shooting ,22LR at 300 yards.

On the other hand, I have hunted with 300BLK Handloads using Barnes (TSX? TTSX? It’s been a few years) out of a 14.5” Noveske (basically the best case scenario for 300BLK) I’ve shot no fewer than 5 deer and one was out pushing 400 yards (I think I made a thread on it here. I’ll try to find it) I hit it right where you want to hit it, in the lungs, and that deer wasn’t found for two days. I thought I missed it and I stumbled on it by accident freezing cold covered in bugs.

I’ll never again push the range of a cartridge on live game. It’s unethical.
    You seem to be saying what I was saying: even if you can mortar with precision the BLK isn't gonna be effective when it gets there. To be clear I didn't start this thread just to bash 300 BLK. I stated in the OP that they should have left this marketed as a 200M round.

Since I think you where the first person to mention Travis....

Did you also notice how wonky that shot looks of him shooting 750M? Like if you actually look where he claims the target is, and then look at the 'target cam' the background changes dramatically. Like... its not even the same target. I really hate conspiracy theorist, but this is how they get started!

Just for the record I am no longer claiming its impossible for 300 to fly 500M, I'm just saying it is hardly accurate or kinetic when it gets there. I think the best post in the whole thread was: "People say things about 300BLK they would never say about 7.62x39".
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Not that I’m a proponent for shooting like this, but I’ll add my experience.
    I shot at old dish washers at a buddies ranch a few weeks ago. 880 yards (half mile)
    Already had my 308 dialed in and picking “which quarter of the dishwasher do I want to hit next?”
    Then I moved onto a different dish washer and had to try my 9” 300 blk suppressed with 220gr subsonic handloads. Only using an Eotech XPS.
    Picked a random holdover, puff of dust 10’ in front of dish washer. Held a little higher, puff of dust just past the dw. (You’ll need a good spotter with a good scope to figure it all out)
    Held in between the two holdovers and started dropping rounds all over with many being into that dishwasher. We found 16 holes in the dw out of a 30 round mag. So yeah, if you have the time any gun could drop rounds into anything. Are they still effective? probably not. In a real situation would your target stay still until you figured out the hold over? Again, probably not. But that’s my experience and thought I’d share.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast