Thread: A1/A2 Upper w/Brass Deflector & NO Forward Assist. Does it exist?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

A1/A2 Upper w/Brass Deflector & NO Forward Assist. Does it exist?

Has anyone seen or heard of anyone making an A1 or A2 upper without a forward assist, but with a brass deflector?

I’m looking at putting together my ideal version of the beat-to-death “KISS/light weight/minimalist” rifle concept and want:

A) Fixed sights integrated into the upper (pros/cons of the A1 vs A2 sights lead me to prefer A1 but also find A2 acceptable)

2) No forward assist, which is extraneous IMHO.

And

D) A shell deflector for shooting left handed.

Can’t find anything in this specific configuration, even with all the other oddballs out there.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think there were some slick side A2 style 9mm upper receivers made. I haven't done this myself but I believe all that's needed to convert a 9mm upper receiver to 5.56 is to drill a hole for the gas tube and put a standard ejection port cover on it instead of the 9mm style short cover and gas deflector.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    If your aren't hung up on the retro aspect of the A1-2 upper just do a flat top Anderson lightweight upper (Deflector but no assist or port door) with a quality detachable carry handle. I really don't understand the carry handle attraction other than the look when quality rear sights like DD are as tough as the carry handle if the intended purpose is practical. BTW.. I am a sucker for the retro look.
    Last edited by GH41; 09-30-19 at 16:31.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I think there were some slick side A2 style 9mm upper receivers made. I haven't done this myself but I believe all that's needed to convert a 9mm upper receiver to 5.56 is to drill a hole for the gas tube and put a standard ejection port cover on it instead of the 9mm style short cover and gas deflector.
    Thank you. I did some searching based on that criteria and it looks like RRA did some 9mm uppers in that configuration but are now discontinued. After looking down that rabbit hole though I did find out the the Colt LMG used an A2 upper w/out forward assist (due to the open bolt nature of that configuration). I may end up snagging a bare upper since they seem to be available for $3-400ish. Not crazy about that but considering non-standard uppers run $200ish already, plus drilling if I find a RRA 9mm upper, it’s not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If your aren't hung up on the retro aspect of the A1-2 upper just do a flat top Anderson lightweight upper (Deflector but no assist or port door) with a quality detachable carry handle. I really don't understand the carry handle attraction other than the look when quality rear sights like DD are as tough as the carry handle if the intended purpose is practical. BTW.. I am a sucker for the retro look.
    Total understand, and I do have an Aero upper w/ deflector & no forward assist. And DD A1.5’s and Troy and carry handles. But I’m also a sucker for fixed carry handle uppers. Just seeing what I can do, because... custom... and variety... not really for 100% practical reasons.