Thread: Safariland ALS Tactical Holster for HK USP 45?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Safariland ALS Tactical Holster for HK USP 45?

Greetings All,

I am looking for a solid holster for my venerable, but quite serviceable, HK USP 45 pistol. I have in mind something with the ALS system, or with some combination of the ALS/SLS, but Safariland has one of the more aggravating and obscure websites I've encountered in some time. Naturally the 7TS series is on my radar, but it does not seem that Safariland has developed a 7TS tactical holster for the USP 45 yet.

So, in the meantime, I am thinking of going for a 6XXX or 7XXX Safariland critter. A 6304 looks like it might do the trick, or could if there were one for the USP 45. Alas, this seems not to be the case; perhaps my pistol is a bit long in the tooth and the market has shifted to the more popular pistol models. There is a 6004 for the USP 45, but it is the SLS. The SLS is reportedly a proven design in its own right, so it may be fine for my purposes when all is said and done, but I am hoping to learn of an ALS-based holster for my pistol.

I have no experience with either the SLS or the ALS, so my preference is based on reading. It is also true that I am not at the pointy end of any spears or the pinnacle of any tiers. I am interested in retention for the sake of safety, etc. A draw that is less of a drag than a UM84-type flap holster (or--sigh--it's leather GI predecessor) will be an improvement. As it is, this holster will, at least for a while, be riding on the good ol' web belt with y-harness suspenders and such. Such is the speed to drag ratio hereabouts.

Thanks for any information or advice.

Mike Kelly

Feedback Score
    You might want to try Copsplus. I found my P2000 holster there and it was easier than looking on the Safariland website.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If you are open carrying in public regularly, go with the ALS/SLS for the hood retention, but know it is very slightly slower and sometimes may interrupt your drawstroke if the hood is not pushed forward fully.

for range use and non public patrol the ALS only is very secure and works great without the issues that may arise with the hood- highly recommended

speed of draw with an ALS is comparable to an open topped kydex holster for me and people I train with per shot timer

SLS is definitely slightly slower, with occasional hiccups in the draw if hood isn't pushed all the way forward

contact SL directly if you have ?s
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 10-01-19 at 14:50.

Feedback Score
    Thanks omegajb and voiceofreason for your replies.

I am not on any sort of public patrol; the holster is for personal use in the puckerbrush and such. The retention I need most is when working and moving in the woods and fields in my local area, so it may be that the SLS will be overkill on top of the ALS.

Copsplus.com does seem like a more useful site than Safariland (what is up with that? As big as The Safariland Group is, you'd think they could get that squared away.) I will revisit it. I'll also pose a few questions to Safariland proper.

Best,
    Mike Kelly

Feedback Score
    Copquest is another good site to buy from. Voiceofreason pretty much summed up differences between ALS and SLS. I’ll add one more thing having purchased Safariland holsters for a variety of H&k pistols... there’s generally not a lot of them floating around in stock. It may pay to call around. If they’re not in stock anywhere, Safariland waits till they receive enough orders, before changing the molds and making more. At least that’s what they told me when I called and spoke with them regarding the last H&k holster I purchased. This does make sense given how many different holsters they produce.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure if G Code has one for the USP 45, but their hooded models might be of interest to you.

Feedback Score
    The ALS options are quite endless for security levels and mounting options however I agree the website can be confusing and at times they do not provide information on past models which would still work for your personal preference. Also, check eBay for great Safariland deals after you identify your preferred model. Here's a little basketweave action for ya:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Safariland-...kAAOSwRfJdjPQc

Feedback Score
    If you do end up getting a Safariland ALS/SLS rig, get you an OTD nub mod too. It's worth the $$ IMO.

https://store.otdefense.com/collections/nub-mods