Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TRI PRC-148 PROBLEM-UPDATE!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

TRI PRC-148 PROBLEM-UPDATE!

Hey guys. I’ve got a 10 pin version of this radio as I’ve talked about before. I purchased it from Shiqinxi (henceforth S) who has been very helpful (probably more than I would have been if the tables were turned. Lol). I programmed it and us a Silynx Clarus as the PTT/headset. I chose the 10 pin because I already had a U-94 Nexxus 10 pin so I could use that too.

The problem: In communicating with a buddy who has a 152 that is programmed the same way (we checked and confirmed all the settings), I can transmit and be heard but I can’t hear his transmission though the LCD screen registers it when he keys his mic. Here’s the rub, when I remove the headset and reset the speaker and mic of my radio, I can hear his transmission at that point through the radio speaker and I can transmit via the internal radio mic.

I don’t believe the Silynx is the issue because when the radio is on and I connect/disconnect the Silynx I get feedback clicks in my ears. Silynx told me that there are a couple different 10 pin versions but they use connectors for the mainstream version. S says that the 10 pin in the radio is wired according to the official Thales wiring diagram. To me that means that the Silynx should work.

At his request, I sent a pic of the Silynx to S and he stated he had never seen it and I would have to send it to him to mod so it will work with the radio. He also stated that it should still work on mil spec 10 pin devices.

My concern: I don’t want my shit altered plus I’m concerned he wants to get his hands on it to copy it since he had not seen it before. I’d sooner have the radio opened and altered but I don’t know anyone with the quals to do that.

The only remedy I know of is to trade it for a 6 pin, start over and dump my U-94 PTT (which I like when I need to use it). I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO SEND MY SILYNX TO CHINA!! Especially given that they love stealing our tech.

Is there any other remedy to make this work? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Sparky5019; 10-19-19 at 19:05.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Just curious, have you adjusted the speaker and mic settings in the radio?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Just curious, have you adjusted the speaker and mic settings in the radio?
    I have. Set to external speaker and dynamic for the mic like he said to support the ptt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I’m betting the issue is probably with the Clarus. I’ve yet to run across an audio accessory that couldn’t be pushed via one of the TRIs.

If you can source a 10-pin to 6-pin adapter you could test the Clarus on your buddy’s 152. Downside is that if it still doesn’t work, you’re out the funds for the adapter and may still have a dead Silynx.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    I have. Set to external speaker and dynamic for the mic like he said to support the ptt.

Last edited by Outlander Systems; 10-01-19 at 16:56.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

TRI PRC-148 PROBLEM HELP!!

I’m betting the issue is probably with the Clarus. I’ve yet to run across an audio accessory that couldn’t be pushed via one of the TRIs.
    Ok. That surprises me but you have more experience than I do with them. IYO, what’s the best fix?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Was the Silynx purchased new? If not, that would definitely be my number one suspect. With the commonality of 6-pin equipment, it would be an easy test. 6-pin is rare enough that it would be really hard to verify function outside of being in an SMU with issued kit to test it on.

Ok. That surprises me but you have more experience than I do with them. IYO, what’s the best fix?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Was the Silynx purchased new? If not, that would definitely be my number one suspect. With the commonality of 6-pin equipment, it would be an easy test. 6-pin is rare enough that it would be really hard to verify function outside of being in an SMU with issued kit to test it on.
    It was. The 10 pin is a new cable from Silynx. It was tested by them and is functional by their test. My rep says they’re built to function with any 10 pin device made to the official Thales wiring diagram (supposedly the TRI is). The Clarus unit functions 110% correct other than this issue.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    This would lead me to believe the wiring my be a different variant of the 10-pin on the 148. Which leaves very few options, unfortunately.

It was. The 10 pin is a new cable from Silynx. It was tested by them and is functional by their test. My rep says they’re built to function with any 10 pin device made to the official Thales wiring diagram (supposedly the TRI is). The Clarus unit functions 110% correct other than this issue.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This would lead me to believe the wiring my be a different variant of the 10-pin on the 148. Which leaves very few options, unfortunately.
    So convert to 6 pin, buy a new Clarus cable and dump my old U94 Nexxus ptt or send him the Silynx cable to modify. Correct?

I haven’t tried my Nexxus U94 ptt yet. If it works then my only option to keep it and run it is to send him the Silynx cable.

He wants the whole headset unit. I would think he could mod it with just the radio down cable. Given their tendency to steal tech, I don’t want to be responsible for that happening here. Is there anyone domestic who could do that work?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Unfortunately that appears to be the case. I’d at least test the U94 to determine if the radio’s wiring is the issue.

So convert to 6 pin, buy a new Clarus cable and dump my old U94 Nexxus ptt or send him the Silynx cable to modify. Correct?

I haven’t tried my Nexxus U94 ptt yet. If it works then my only option to keep it and run it is to send him the Silynx cable.

He wants the whole headset unit. I would think he could mod it with just the radio down cable. Given their tendency to steal tech, I don’t want to be responsible for that happening here. Is there anyone domestic who could do that work?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast