Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RMR mount on Marlin 1894 - UPDATE 6/21/21

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

RMR mount on Marlin 1894 - UPDATE 12/11/21

Trijicon doesn't make a low base to put an RMR MRDS on the receiver of the Marlin 1894. There is a base and mounting plate if you use a piece of rail on the receiver or barrel, but that required an uncomfortable head position using a standard stock.
    This semi-custom mount is the lowest possible setup for the RMR that I have been able to come up with and it should work equally well on any side-eject lever action with a flat top receiver. It adapts an existing Glock mount and sealing plate: discard the dovetail insert for the Glock kit and drill mounting holes .500 center to center on the midline of the Glock base and use screws from the parts kits to mount the base in either the front or rear scope mount holes on the receiver. My gunsmith charged me $50 for the job. ETA: be careful not to over-torque the RMR mounting screws into this base. The base is aluminum, not steel, and you can strip the holes if you over-torque the screws.
    If the top of the receiver isn't already drilled and tapped for scope bases, the gunsmith can do the two holes for a few extra bucks.
    This gets the MRDS as low as possible for a decent cheek weld and allows old eyes to stay in the game a little longer.

Parts list:
    Trijicon AC32064 RMR Mounting Kit For Glock MOS and Springfield OSP Models
    UTG Super Slim RMR Mount for Glock Rear Sight Dovetail

RMR06-3 by Bruce, on Flickr

RMR06-2 by Bruce, on Flickr

84269D3C-C56D-4CAF-96B8-FF7D34FEE89E by Bruce, on Flickr
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 12-11-21 at 10:33. Reason: additonal useful information
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    Bruce,

That looks awesome, thanks for sharing your setup. I just got a 1894C and it will be sporting a mount like yours in the near future.

Feedback Score
    That looks good.

Thanks for putting that out there.

I just recently mounted an older USA made 4X Burris Mini scope on my Marlin 1894 16" .44 lever gun, as it needed something for me maximize its potential. As much as I like the clean lines of an iron sighted lever gun, I recognize that in reality, for 95% of the shooting that I do, an optic is advantageous.

Thanks again for showing that.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    If you have minimal metal working experience and access to appropriate tools, it is a simple job to cut a piece of flat steel stock to size, drill the mounting holes to fit the 1/2" spacing to mount the plate to the top of the receiver, and drill and tap the 6-32 holes in the correct location to mount the RMR. "Melt" the sharp edges and corners for carrying comfort and cold blue.

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/produ...-rmr-set-of-2/
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 03-10-20 at 05:44.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    A machinist friend made the steel copy of the soft aluminum base. It is the finishing touch, making the MRDS base pretty close to bomb proof!
    I changed the sight to a Holosun 508T/G/1 to take advantage of the green dot for my older eyes, and moved the sight to the rear mounting holes to give me a bigger sight window for snap shooting. This sight has the same footprint as the RM06, so I can change it back at any time. I added an hopticusa.com 1/8" foam cheekpad to raise my comb height slightly and put my eye at the correct height for a good cheek weld along the MRDS sight line.
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 06-23-21 at 09:30.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    EGW now makes a factory MRDS low mount for the Ruger PC carbine that also fits the 1894 without modification. No customization required, and only $50! Check it out here:

https://www.egwguns.com/trijicon-rmr...ger-pc-carbine
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 01-01-22 at 13:52.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    EGW now makes a factory MRDS low mount for the Ruger PC carbine that also fits the 1894 without modification. No customization required, and only $50! Check it out here:
    https://www.egwguns.com/trijicon-rmr...ne-sight-mount
    Have a pic with it on the gun?
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Aridus Industries Marlin CROMs

I'm looking forward to Aridus Industries' Marlin CROMs. Adam teased them on social media a while back.

Marlin CROMs
    "I don't just want gun rights... I want individual liberty, a culture of self-reliance....I want the whole bloody thing." - Kim du Toit

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Have a pic with it on the gun?
    No, I'm happy with the steel one, so I haven't bought one of the EGW mounts.
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 06-23-21 at 09:30.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

New gun, different mounting problem

Sold the rifle that was the model for the original post, but kept a 1894 45 Colt Cowboy Competition Special Edition I had in the back of the safe. This model of the 1894 has no scope mounting holes on the top flat of the action, and I didn't want to add them. I want to shoot it and still require an optic, so I found a dovetail blank with a flat plate on top of it that is just barely long enough to drill & tap for the longitudinal spacing of the mount's screws (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod20734.aspx). The blank required careful fitting by trial and error to achieve a solid fit.

I moved the Holosun to it, (it has the same footprint as an RMR), and have a "natural" co-witness without have to make any other mods to the rifle.
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 12-13-21 at 19:42.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast