Thread: Converting Mossberg 500C to 14” SBS

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Converting Mossberg 500C to 14” SBS

Looking for some help on this one...

I found an inexpensive, old Mossberg 20 gauge and want to try my hand at the gamut of shotgun “smithing.” There’s a little rust, the bluing is so-so, the wood is beat up, etc. And, I’d like to cut down to 14”.

I do understand the NFA process and also that there are some advantages to 590’s, purchasing a kit from Mossberg, etc, just not the direction I want to take.

Any good build links, tutorials, good pictures, and so on?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Your shotgun in the end is nothing more metal and wood. It shouldn't be too hard to find generic firearms restoration videos. Cutting the barrel and replacing the bead isn't rocket science but it isn't something the average guy is capable of doing right with shade tree tools. It will be hard to justify buying the proper tools to do just one barrel. Rather than restoring the blueing you might look into sending it to someone who could cut/crown the barrel and parkerize everything while he has it. Chemically strip sand and oil the wood. Think mini 590A1.

Feedback Score
    This forum has been helpful in the past:
    http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/...ump-action.17/

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks, guys.

If I have to, I’ll send it out somewhere for the barrel work. I actually do want to keep with a bit of an “old school” look, so will probably figure out the best way to do the blueing. But the wood work and receiver I expect to do.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Thanks, guys.

If I have to, I’ll send it out somewhere for the barrel work. I actually do want to keep with a bit of an “old school” look, so will probably figure out the best way to do the blueing. But the wood work and receiver I expect to do.

Remember the 500 receivers are aluminum. I can tell you BC Aluminum Black is next to useless on them.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post
    Remember the 500 receivers are aluminum. I can tell you BC Aluminum Black is next to useless on them.
    Good catch on the aluminum receiver. Forgot about that. Cancel the suggestion to park. I agree.. Aluma Black black is worthless for anything other than a wall hanger. Sounds like he is a candidate for a CeraKote job.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Good catch on the aluminum receiver. Forgot about that. Cancel the suggestion to park. I agree.. Aluma Black black is worthless for anything other than a wall hanger. Sounds like he is a candidate for a CeraKote job.
    I did one with Rust-oleum Self Etching primer as a base coat under quality flat black spray paint. It has only needed a touch up or two mainly because of operator clumsiness.