Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Go see Joker

Feedback Score
    Yea, it was good.

I even laughed out loud a few times. It takes you through a number of emotions. I was entertained.

I think it's the only movie I've gone to see this year. This one isn't SJW.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    I just got back from seeing Joker, and here's my take: It matters how we treat one another. One kind word from a stranger can possibly make a difference in someone's life. Compassion costs us nothing, but can also be priceless.
    I came to this conclusion years ago.

I had a coworker with issues. He was an alright guy, went to lunch with him sometimes. Was with a group of coworkers when he wasn't around and someone asked me, "So you were listening to (We'll call him "John") John going on about his problems, again? Why do you even listen to him?" I told them, "because as far as I know I may be the only person in the world he can talk to. Maybe it's the difference between him showing up with a rifle one day, maybe not, but I sure don't mind being nice to him." They didn't have shit to say after that.

Feedback Score
    Saw it and it was a good movie but nothing special. The “Life beats a guy down and he breaks” plot has been played out multiple times. It tied into the Batman/Gotham storyline well.

It was like the first half of Full Metal Jacket with just a slightly different ending.

Lessons:

1)Be nice to people
    2)There are reasons for asylums
    3)People nut up when they hit their breaking point regardless of health, wealth, or mental capacity.
    4)you can f stuff up with a snub nosed .38
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    Lessons:

1)Be nice to people
    2)There are reasons for asylums
    3)People nut up when they hit their breaking point regardless of health, wealth, or mental capacity.
    4)you can f stuff up with a snub nosed .38
    Darn right. I've seen people shot at 50 yards blown 20 feet back through a plate glass window with a .38 snub .
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Darn right. I've seen people shot at 50 yards blown 20 feet back through a plate glass window with a .38 snub .
    .38 LSWCHP + P is no joke. I sense a little sarcasm there but the right .38 will ruin your day before a .357 will

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    .38 LSWCHP + P is no joke. I sense a little sarcasm there but the right .38 will ruin your day before a .357 will
    They normally dont expand from short barrels. But penetrate just fine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    They normally dont expand from short barrels. But penetrate just fine.
    A hole in the heart is a hole in the heart

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Interesting to see Medved's review. He's no flaming leftist, but he clearly didn't like Joker.

Medved: 2 of 4 stars

"The thing you'll notice about Joker--aside from the terrifying performance of Joachin Phoenix--is how terrible it will make you feel. This is a supremely indulgent exercise in painfully pointless depression. Only occasionally interrupted by spasms of gruesome and sadistic violence."

[...]

"Parts of the film are well done, but the real question is why was it done it all, and why should anyone endure it?"

His reaction to this movie didn't seem motivated by politics, nor have I seen him critique movie violence just because it was violence, provided that it makes sense in the context of the story. He thinks this movie is basically just wallowing in darkness and nihilism, not particularly compelling, thought-provoking, or even entertaining. And at first glance, from trailers and other people's comments, I do kind of get that same impression. It does not seem like a particularly noteworthy insight that people who become sociopathic BG's often had a rough life, which can include bullying, abuse, and mental illness as key 'ingredients' in the making of a bad guy.

I will probably see it just because the Left hates it and that alone makes it interesting to me. And Medved is not always right, he's downgraded some movies I thought were excellent. But probably won't bother with seeing Joker in-theater, I save that for maybe 1 movie a year and this won't be it.
    Something tells me he wasn't able to suspend disbelief and place himself in the character's shoes. Something like this is supposed to make you think about life, if you were someone other than yourself.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    A hole in the heart is a hole in the heart
    Yea I'm on board. I carry a Beretta Cheetah 7.65mm.

Feedback Score
    ""Parts of the film are well done, but the real question is why was it done it all, and why should anyone endure it?""

Well, you could say that about the Wizard of Oz, too. If you like it, you were entertained. If not, you "endured" it.

Silly question.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast