Thread: Subsonic .223

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Subsonic .223

Sanity check...

Background:
    I hate cleaning. I especially hate cleaning lead contaminated crud from .22 cans. So I’ve been thinking hard for a while about the idea of jacketed subsonic cartridges, which are few and far between, unless you like .300 Whisper.

And then:
    Maybe I’ve had too many concussions, but I keep coming to the idea of subsonic 77gr .223, which checks a few blocks for me. I can fire it through any can, because I don’t need to take it apart and clean it. Internet searches show that 5.5-6gr of Trailboss can be stabilized with 1/7 twist, with good margin for error. It should, hypothetically, be pretty quiet with a 5.56 can, or a 7.62 can with a 5.56 endcap, because these tend to be longer and have more internal volume than most rimfire cans. Also, hypothetically, a .22 can suppress better than a .30 with subs. 77gr offers energy advantages over .22lr that the neighborhood raccoon can’t ignore.

How I would go about this:
    Green Mountain has a 1:6 twist barrel with rifle gas. I would have ADCO cut that down to 12” and thread it. Straight pull bolt action. I’d try out a few cans to see which one works best on such a low pressure setup, and I’m open to buying a new can just for this.

Has anyone else tried such a project? How does it compare to .22lr subs through a .22 can? Is this whole thing silly?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Running 77s for subsonic gets too expensive fast. It's cute for a minute, but then the time to load (at least for me) eventually makes is not worth the time/effort.

I loaded subs in a bullet WAY lighter/shorter. I can't remember exactly which bullet because it was years ago. I'd probably find a 62 gr bullet to balance weight/length for cheaper.

Also, I remember loading 77s at trans and subsonic for testing, and 7 twist was fine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    77gr offers energy advantages over .22lr that the neighborhood raccoon can’t ignore.
    This is a common thought but energy actually does not equal any terminal improvement. Neither will expand and subsonic 22LR will penetrate enough to go through anything you should be shooting with it. The main reason to use heavy for caliber bullets in subsonic is for cycling a semi.

The biggest problem with your idea is the manual AR. A bolt action uses mechanical advantage to break the fired case loose, the AR doesn't have this. You can search "primary extraction" for more info. I would highly recommend you start your project with a bolt action. Or just get a 300 BLK.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-05-19 at 17:00.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I’m sacking this project on grounds of cost and diminishing returns. And because I didn’t know anything about primary extraction.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-06-19 at 04:02.

Feedback Score
    Subsonic 22lr shoots a 40 grain and in some cases a 60 grain bullet. Why go to the trouble of reloading 223 when remington and Aguila make the same thing in a rimfire.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The 60gr 22lr bullet requires a faster twist to stabilize and most 22lr barrels or 1:16. A 62gr .223 in a 1:9 or faster twist stabilizes just fine.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Sanity check...

Background:
    I hate cleaning. I especially hate cleaning lead contaminated crud from .22 cans. So I’ve been thinking hard for a while about the idea of jacketed subsonic cartridges, which are few and far between, unless you like .300 Whisper.

And then:
    Maybe I’ve had too many concussions, but I keep coming to the idea of subsonic 77gr .223, which checks a few blocks for me. I can fire it through any can, because I don’t need to take it apart and clean it. Internet searches show that 5.5-6gr of Trailboss can be stabilized with 1/7 twist, with good margin for error. It should, hypothetically, be pretty quiet with a 5.56 can, or a 7.62 can with a 5.56 endcap, because these tend to be longer and have more internal volume than most rimfire cans. Also, hypothetically, a .22 can suppress better than a .30 with subs. 77gr offers energy advantages over .22lr that the neighborhood raccoon can’t ignore.

How I would go about this:
    Green Mountain has a 1:6 twist barrel with rifle gas. I would have ADCO cut that down to 12” and thread it. Straight pull bolt action. I’d try out a few cans to see which one works best on such a low pressure setup, and I’m open to buying a new can just for this.

Has anyone else tried such a project? How does it compare to .22lr subs through a .22 can? Is this whole thing silly?
    I just use this ammo in my 5.56 ARs with my normal cans on them:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019570122?pid=967308

It is super quiet and cycles. It will not lock back on the last round but i can live with that.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I just use this ammo in my 5.56 ARs with my normal cans on them:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019570122?pid=967308

It is super quiet and cycles. It will not lock back on the last round but i can live with that.
    That stuff stabilizes in a 1:7 ?!?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That stuff stabilizes in a 1:7 ?!?
    No kidding. Bullet has to be pretty long to be 112 grains.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast