Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable gas block advice

Feedback Score

Adjustable gas block advice

So I plan on making a 20inch m110ish 308. I found a place that has the Troy 308 mrf rail, I plan on using aero receivers, and a faxon 308 match 5r 20inch barrel. I’m going to get a surefire 300 sps with my reenlistment bonus and I know 308’s can be picky. Who has experience with using adjustable gas blocks? Is the superlative arms the best one? Also any reason why people choose the clamp on version? I’m looking to get one that will is the least likely for the gas adjustment to back off. I’ve seen too many friends have their 3gun rifle turn into a bolt gun mid match. I’m thinking about doing a JP silent capture spring too.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Are you looking to set this up for dedicated suppressed or mixed use?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I use the SLR adj GB for my 308 uppers. Haven't tried the Superlative adj GB since I haven't had any problems with my SLR GBs. On the SLR ones that I have, the click-stop detents are very firm, not mushy, and I haven't had any of them back off or lose their setting. Barrel lengths of 14.5" to 24". I don't shoot suppressed.

Regarding the Faxon 308 Heavy Match 5R 416R SS 20" barrel, rifle gas length, JMHO, I think the Armalite AR-10 rifle gas tube (15.5") is correct for that application, vs the AR-15 rifle gas tube (15-1/8").

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Are you looking to set this up for dedicated suppressed or mixed use?
    It would be a mix

Feedback Score
    Make sure you have access to the adjuster on the block. These days, everyone wants a hand guard that extends way past the gas block, but many times that will block access to the adjustment screw on the block.

Tony

Feedback Score
    It’s a monolithic rail that has a folding front sight gas block. So the gas block would be exposed

Feedback Score
    I like Andersons. They adjust from the front, so you can't have your handguard close to your suppressor and still adjust it. With side adjustable blocks, you might or might not be able to reach the adjusting screw depending on where how the holes in your handguard line up. This is becoming less of an issue as newer handguards have more and more empty space. With front adjustable you will always be good. Keep in mind you won't be fiddling with the adjustment much once you get it dialed in. I set mine to lock back on the weakest ammo I use with and without a suppressor. I know how many clicks difference it is. If I'm going to shoot a lot suppressed, I make the adjustment before I put the suppressor on.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm using a Superlative Arms on my new 308 build. So far I like it, adjusts easily from the front. They include a long allen that reaches with room to spare on my 18" barrel with rifle length gas and a 15" handguard. The detents are relatively firm, each at 90 degrees from the last. Like I said, so far, so good. This is more of a precision build, shooting from a bench or prone, but it has held its setting with no issue.

Feedback Score
    I run a couple of JP rifles with their AGB's. Their particular combination, between their hadnguards and AGB's is great because they have an access hole drilled through the handguard right where you need to insert the allen key to make any adjustments.

That being said, the Superlative's are also nice because you can adjust them from the front.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    So I plan on making a 20inch m110ish 308. I found a place that has the Troy 308 mrf rail, I plan on using aero receivers, and a faxon 308 match 5r 20inch barrel. I’m going to get a surefire 300 sps with my reenlistment bonus and I know 308’s can be picky. Who has experience with using adjustable gas blocks? Is the superlative arms the best one? Also any reason why people choose the clamp on version? I’m looking to get one that will is the least likely for the gas adjustment to back off. I’ve seen too many friends have their 3gun rifle turn into a bolt gun mid match. I’m thinking about doing a JP silent capture spring too.
    I have that same suppressor and have been using a SLR gas block with a 15" handguard on a 16" Criterion mid length gas barrel. I have no problem adjusting it from the front using an extended length allen driver. I think it's 12" long or so. It's laying on the bench in this picture. 20191027_111215.jpg
    Last edited by Merle; 11-07-19 at 00:23.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast