Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SBR hunting question. State line crossed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

SBR hunting question. State line crossed.

I am going for a deer hunt in Eastern WA. To get here we will be crossing to Oregon, and then back across North into WA for the hunt.
    If I separate the upper and lower and do not use or touch in OR do I need to file the 5320.20?

Feedback Score
    Don't know for sure, (not a lawyer) but I'd suggest you find an alternate route.

Maybe you could put a 16" upper on it for the trip, and the short upper on a pistol lower...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 10-06-19 at 22:09.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    To be by-the letter, just throw a 16”upper on it and keep the other separate.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Out of my lane here but to my thinking the SN'd engraved lower "is" the SBR in the eyes of the ATF, doesn't matter if it has an upper attached or not. Kinda like with a M2 carbine, doesn't matter if has all M1 parts if receiver is marked M2 it's a machine gun in the eyes of the ATF.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Out of my lane here but to my thinking the SN'd engraved lower "is" the SBR in the eyes of the ATF, doesn't matter if it has an upper attached or not. Kinda like with a M2 carbine, doesn't matter if has all M1 parts if receiver is marked M2 it's a machine gun in the eyes of the ATF.
    That is not correct. If an SBR lower is without an upper at all it is a lower. It is only an SBR if it is configured as one. With a 16" barrel it is a rifle.

OP- put a brace on it while traveling. Problem solved.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    That is not correct. If an SBR lower is without an upper at all it is a lower. It is only an SBR if it is configured as one. With a 16" barrel it is a rifle.

OP- put a brace on it while traveling. Problem solved.
    Wouldn’t you have to change the receive extension tube to do that?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Wouldn’t you have to change the receive extension tube to do that?
    Not an sb3. A pistol just has to be built as a pistol first, then can go back and forth as a rifle.
    Or just pull the stock off, and any vfg if you have one.

Feedback Score
    If it is assembled or reassembled in a different state as a SBR a form 20 is needed. If you place a different non sbr upper on it ie 16” the SBR is no longer a SBR. I travel to other states with my SBR and I do the form 20. It takes about 2-3 month to get a approved. So you will need to plan ahead. I normally do year long form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Not an sb3. A pistol just has to be built as a pistol first, then can go back and forth as a rifle.
    Or just pull the stock off, and any vfg if you have one.
    This is fact
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Theoretically under FOPA86 you do not need to do anything except the storage requirements for the journey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast