Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SBR hunting question. State line crossed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    However, I went to a training class by a respected trainer who also hosts training classes to teach ATF agents...and when I asked if I could drop a 16” upper on my SBR lower to go to his class in a NFA-unfriendly state, he stated that it would still be the SBR and should not be transported to the class. He is not anti-anything. In fact, I just pulled my upper and dropped it on my standby pistol lower, and all was good.
    ATF says otherwise.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2009/5/28...ge-to-title-i/

There are dozens more letters like that floating around confirming the same thing.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I will not pretend to be the most knowledgeable on this. I agree as others have stated (and seems clear by reading the law) that placing a 16” upper on an SBR lower makes it no longer an SBR.

However, I went to a training class by a respected trainer who also hosts training classes to teach ATF agents...and when I asked if I could drop a 16” upper on my SBR lower to go to his class in a NFA-unfriendly state, he stated that it would still be the SBR and should not be transported to the class. He is not anti-anything. In fact, I just pulled my upper and dropped it on my standby pistol lower, and all was good.

I only include this as a cautionary anecdote to illustrate that sometimes “it isn’t worth it” just because it is technically legal. Others, including federal law enforcement, may disagree/be behind on current interpretations.
    This is not accurate.

The internet can’t even agree on what’s what. Anyone you meet in real life won’t be able to either fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I know it’s not correct, but it may be worth saving a few hours of someone’s time/explanations to law enforcement that don’t know what they are talking about.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know it’s not correct, but it may be worth saving a few hours of someone’s time/explanations to law enforcement that don’t know what they are talking about.

How would they know?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just curious, but what are you hunting that would make a SBR your first choice over a full size rifle?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123