Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SBR hunting question. State line crossed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

SBR hunting question. State line crossed.

Thanks for the tips guys.
    I think I will put a 16” upper on it for the trip and swap uppers when I get to our spot. Maybe even pull the stock.
    I thought we were driving through WA until yesterday or I would have submitted the 5320.20

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've always filled the form out with the destination of where the SBR will be temporarily, never all the state I travelled through. I fill out a handful once a year for all the places I'll be visiting and make each a year long form. Been doing this for almost a decade.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    I've always filled the form out with the destination of where the SBR will be temporarily, never all the state I travelled through. I fill out a handful once a year for all the places I'll be visiting and make each a year long form. Been doing this for almost a decade.
    I think you’re missing his point. He’s ending up in his home state but his route takes him through another to get there. You can’t form travel to what is your home state.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    I would think that the 5320.20 wouldn't be required for the trip if the destination is not outside of the registered state.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    If it is cased and locked the entire time I would imagine you do not need any permission slips. Especially if the lower is separated and locked in a separate location from the upper.

Feedback Score
    According to the atf.

This form is used to obtain permission to temporarily or permanently move your registered NFA machinegun, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or destructive device interstate.

Once the SBR crosses state line, it because interstate and would need a form 20. Even if it’s questionable I would just get the form 20 or place a 16” upper on it. . They don’t cost anything to get so why chance it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Theoretically under FOPA86 you do not need to do anything except the storage requirements for the journey.
    There additional law/regulations regarding NFA. See Section 922 (a) (4), Title 18, U.S.C., and Section 478.28, Title 27, CFR.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphasig View Post
    There additional law/regulations regarding NFA. See Section 922 (a) (4), Title 18, U.S.C., and Section 478.28, Title 27, CFR.
    FOPA86 superceded those

U.S. Code § 926A.Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    FOPA86 superceded those

U.S. Code § 926A.Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    That section was to keep states from passing laws to restrict firearms transport into their states.gave min standard on copying. I use that section when I go into Maryland on my way to VA for example with my ccw. All I’m say saying if you cross state lines you need the form 20 for a NFA item. If you want to roll the dice then that’s on you.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I will not pretend to be the most knowledgeable on this. I agree as others have stated (and seems clear by reading the law) that placing a 16” upper on an SBR lower makes it no longer an SBR.

However, I went to a training class by a respected trainer who also hosts training classes to teach ATF agents...and when I asked if I could drop a 16” upper on my SBR lower to go to his class in a NFA-unfriendly state, he stated that it would still be the SBR and should not be transported to the class. He is not anti-anything. In fact, I just pulled my upper and dropped it on my standby pistol lower, and all was good.

I only include this as a cautionary anecdote to illustrate that sometimes “it isn’t worth it” just because it is technically legal. Others, including federal law enforcement, may disagree/be behind on current interpretations.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast