Thread: Hornady 125gr 308 reduced recoil load data wanted

Feedback Score

Hornady 125gr 308 reduced recoil load data wanted

So I’m going to be setting up a loading press, a Hornady progressive press. I shoot 3gun and occasionally uspsa. I’m looking to start dabbling in heavy division and when I shot the Noveske carbine championship, Keith Garcia was running his POF DI revolution 308, he took 2nd overall. He runs Hornady 125gr reduced load 308’s. I know his gun has an adjustable gas block and mine doesn’t. I’m going to run a colt 901. I’m going to buy a box and see if they’ll cycle with out the adjustable gas block. Does anyone have the load data on reduced loads? My buddy that reloads says he could pull the bullet and weigh the powder but we’re both unsure about what powder they would use, we figure something slow burning.

Feedback Score
    Most commercial ammunition used proprietary, non-canister grade powders. Just look for load data for 125s and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Just look for load data for 125s and go from there.
    Amen...

Just run that factory ammo through your chronograph and then find something that produces approximately the same velocity.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You *might* want to go the other way as well and try out a box of 208gr AMax bullets or similar. A lot of 308's are not going to like a slow 125gr but won't mind something like a starting load of Varget with the 208gr AMax. Might be able to work that down some & still have good function & accuracy in the 2100 fps neighborhood.

CFE223 might not be bad either since it also good for .223 (as is Varget, but $)
    I can drink a quart of monkey and still stand still...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Hodgdon has subsonic loads for the 165-168 grain bullets with 8 grains of tightgroup or clays. Right around 1050 fps. May not cycle the rifle though. Grab a loading manual and try some loads below the min starting point. Might be surprised at how they do for competition distances. Shooting big heavy bullets will add up in price fast. You can get some 110 spitzers pretty cheap and should be fine for shooting bay distance.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I shoot 120 or 130 grain TTSX in 308. Working up my loads, the starting loads were incredibly mild. (I was wanting to get close to 270 performance at shorter ranges)

I want to say I'm using CFE 223 but would have to check.

Most folks try to take reduced loads too far down. Sam for going too light in bullets.

If you want a blooper load look at the "universal service rifle" loading of 16 grains of 2400 with a 150 to 200 grain bullet. I shoot this extensively in 7x57 & 7/08.

In many rifles this load shoot same point of impact at 25 m.

Feedback Score
    My mild 308 load is 125 bullet and 41.5 gr IMR-4895. Usually the 125tnt bullet. LC brass, CCI primer. 2.70”length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk