Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone carry a Beretta 92 series?

Feedback Score
    I don't currently carry my 92FS for duty (Sig P220 now) but I have owned mine for about 18 years. Have a LOT of rounds through it though. The old style locking block broke around year 15. Dropped in the new style locking block and never had a problem since.

I never once had my Beretta fail for feed, fire or eject any ammo that I put thorugh it. When I went through the academy I saw lots of Glocks choke on certain ammo. I would pick up the round, drop it in my mag and fire it without a problem.

Flipping off the safety is a no brainer. If you complain you can't do it, then the gun doesn't fit your hand. I've never had a problem or issue with flipping the safety on or off with my thumb. I also don't have to adjust my grip when doing this.

Feedback Score
    My experience parallels what many others have already said. If I'm given a choice, I carry a 1911 based weapon or a M11. I've had good luck using a London Bridge thigh rig and the beloved 6004. I don't have much IWB experience with it, though.

Feedback Score
    I carry a 92D quite regularly in a Safariland 527. Mine has the Wolff trigger spring, which gives me a lot of peace of mind. In one class I taught, a composite team of 14 personnel had 6 trigger springs break. It sort of freaked me out.

I like the 92D. I had a threat management incident years ago that made me somewhat uncomfortable with a standard Glock trigger. The 92D was my reaction. Revolvers are no big deal to me, so I don't mind the DAO pull.
    It's only an "arm's length" gun if you're incompetent.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    After several 92s, (92D Centurion, 92F Compact Type M), the one that I've settled on is my current 92D, with Trijicon nightsights and Ergo Extreme rubber grips. Reliability has literally been 100%; for magazines I prefer either the current Check-Mate dry-film finished magazines or Beretta/MDS magazines.

I'm not a huge guy (5'8", 197 lbs), but the 92 is easy to carry with the right holster an belt. For concealed carry holsters, I prefer either a Kramer #2 horsehide IWB, an Orca (unfortunately discontinued) IWB, or a Wilderness Zip-Slide. For open carry in the field, I've found the Bianchi military M12/UM84 flap holster to be excellent.

The 92D has a superb buttery-smooth rolling triggerpull, with a nice surprise break-and no external safety.

John Wayne, I certainly respect your experience, but replacing trigger return springs at the 3K round count seems aggressive, expecially considering that the recommend recoil spring replacement is only every 5-8K rounds. As I recall from some of ToddG's old Beretta Armorer's class notes, I believe that the trigger return spring can actually be popped out and re-inserted backwards if it breaks to provide a fully functional spring.

While I prefer my Glocks for regular carry, the 92 is an excellent, reliable and durable gun in my experience over the years-assuming proper maintenance and lubrication on the part of the user.

Best, Jon
    I agree My duty weapon is a 92D Centurion, 10,000 trouble free rounds down range, 0 stoppages or broken parts. Springs all replaced before I went off to the firearms instructor's school. I also own my own 92D Centurion, a 92FS Centurion and a regular 92FS Police Special. All have been perfect function wise and are accurate to boot. My hands are large and I stand 6'6" tall and 300lbs so concealing this weapon or any other up to my 7 1/2" Redhawk 44 mag is a non issue. My normal carry is in a Desantis Cozy Partner IWB with a single mag carrier on the off side It is comfortable and secure. As a side note I replaced the mainsprings on my non D models with the D spring and all trigger springs are wolf. But my duty weapon has only had Beretta springs without issues. I have seen 1 cracked locking block which I believe to have been caused by lack of lubrication as this Officer is the only one in our dept that has ever had problems with the Beretta and he refuses to dirty up a clean gun with lube read IDIOT. I prefer to carry the D model Centurion to me it just feels and points right, kinda like Beretta's version of the commander and the lack of safety makes it a safer version of the Glock, I consider the long smooth trigger to be safer than the short trigger with a dinglehopper and I shoot DA only guns extremely well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123