Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Members who have dropped off the radar:

Feedback Score
    I've been a member on here since 2013 and used to engage in the GD on and off, but then realized my comments were just a drop of water in a huge ocean. I've always been a lurker on tech spec threads, as I'm one who has more to gain from listening to others than I do in dishing things out. I simply don't have enough time (or money) to go out and shoot / run my equipment to the bone as others on here do. This place is a treasure trove of knowledge and insight, but it can also be intimidating when you realize your knowledge base is next to nothing compared to others on here.
    Last edited by tgizzard; 10-12-19 at 07:36.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    Fairly certain you belong out here in UT. NC bred and born so you'd be following suit.

How's the Old North State these days? Have the Yankees completed the takeover?
    We're okay for now, haven't been overrun quite yet. It's coming though, which is sad

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    Fairly certain you belong out here in UT. NC bred and born so you'd be following suit.

How's the Old North State these days? Have the Yankees completed the takeover?
    Brother, you've no idea. Well, maybe you do. Although I was born on the coast, I grew up near in and lived around Durham most of my life except when I was in college and in the military. I work at the big nameless hospital here in Durham. I would pack up and leave today if my wife would let me.

She immigrated down here from upstate New York, and now all of her family is here. She doesn't want to leave them. But me? I'm ready to go. The Triangle, Charlotte, the Triad, they are as liberal and left as any California or New England City.

Utah sounds awesome, for many reasons.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    One problem I see is that any new blood that comes along has their thread locked and they're told to use the search function. DUMB! It's not like there's so much conversation going on that we can't discuss old subjects again, and even possibly shed new light.
    IG had the right touch... "Hey look, a thread on optics!!!"

I never understood the "mods, please shut down this thread" whining... like it hurts their eyes.

Don't want to read something, then don't.

In general I think the mods do a balanced job on this.

A forum can't be hard on necroposting AND not allow (near) duplicate new threads... It's one or the other

Biggest risk to discussion I see is tipping too far into lockstep "all you need is A & B" dogpiling.

Which many times is 100% solid advice.

But when it turns into dogmatic groupthink, then there is no reason for discussion.

Realistically, most of us will (luckily) never "need" this stuff. Its more of a want, way down the pyramid of needs.

Active discussion of what works, and most importantly, why. That's what made m4c different.

If the automatic answer is "just buy a 6920, a g19 and a case of ammo, close the thread mods", then there is no reason for a forum. Just a static web site would work.

That may be the best answer (could be worse), but its as important to be able to explain why. And deal with new sweet spots. (Occasional new offerings, the socom barrel, etc)

Feedback Score
    Forums such as this, or photography, mechanics, basket weaving, whatever are mostly for entertainment and perhaps obtaining some information /instruction on subject 'xyz'. Most log on while dinner is cooking, in a coffee shop, free time during the work day, before retiring in the evening, what have you. These forums are mostly just for fun, individuals at times get bored and move on.
    The non-sensical banter that takes place because because AR company X is better than company Y is actually quite amusing, basically Mercedes better than BMW, or team A better than Team Y;
    just entertainment....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Most of the "missing" members mentioned in this thread are easily found elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    One problem I see is that any new blood that comes along has their thread locked and they're told to use the search function. DUMB! It's not like there's so much conversation going on that we can't discuss old subjects again, and even possibly shed new light.
    I always found that "use the search" refrain to be annoying. That particular moderator isn't with us anymore, however.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I always found that "use the search" refrain to be annoying. That particular moderator isn't with us anymore, however.
    I think I may have said it before, but I find the search button to be completely useless. I have at times typed in the exact thread name and had no results. I’ve even clicked on the “search results” links that people have posted in the threads that a new guy starts, and gotten “no results”.

When I search M4c, I do it from a search engine.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Everything evolves. Just like life itself, forums are a window of time where people come and people go. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I've met some good people here. Simply tolerated some others.

I find myself posting a lot less, not that I was ever a big poster to begin with. I'm a post little and read a lot type anyway. But you find folks who want to start something just for the sake of starting something. So I try not to post when I think it could start something. Even when I believe I have some on point information that's helpful.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    I'm just here to read the stuff Firefly posts.

If Firefly ever bails I'd be like Audi 5000 G.

But seriously, year from now we will be deep into the election cycle so there will be lots going on.
    Me too. He’s the hero we need and deserve.
    Last edited by CRAMBONE; 10-19-19 at 22:28.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast