Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Airstrikes launched as Turkey begins northern Syria military operation

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Amount of ****s given if PeshmergaPapa ****ing walked to the Middle East from Chile: Zero

After 18 years in Afghanistan this is what we have to show for it:

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Just some food for thought from someone who went, on his own dime, to fight with the Kurds in the region.

I thought everyone thought Hillary was going to start WWIII.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Airstrikes launched as Turkey begins northern Syria military operation

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Yep, the same reason we did our best to keep the Israeli out of the fray during Desert Storm when they were attacked by Skud missiles.
    Probably but so what? We’re already the great satan to the cave dwellers so why are we always the ones to waste blood and treasure protecting Israel’s interests?

And someone correct me if I’m wrong but don’t a majority of Israeli oil imports come from Iraqi Kurdistan?

ETA I mean to quote 26infs post. Not Sams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Actually, the British and French were very aware of what they were doing when they drew those lines. There's a good reason why most countries of the Middle-East has no super-majority ethnic or tribal group, and that's because the Franco-Brits wanted to maximize chaos in the Middle-East. They didn't want another Ottoman-Turkish Empire to arise to potentially threaten Christendom - or their ability to exploit the Middle-East.
    Yeah, I have read conflicting versions on the matter. I am in no way disagreeing with you, but the Brits/French were looking at it through Colonial lenses and how the lines benefited them the most.
    The Kurds have never really helped their cause, IMO. They absolutely refused to assimilate, EVER and that sounds a lot like some bearded characters in Afghanistan.

Im with others: you look at history and this crap is par for the course in the ME, for just about as long as man has been there.
    Last edited by armtx77; 10-11-19 at 11:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Probably but so what? We’re already the great satan to the cave dwellers so why are we always the ones to waste blood and treasure protecting Israel’s interests?
    Because we would eventually have to get into it to defend Israel in order to keep it from going nuclear.

As to why we carry the load, I think there are a few, like myself, who feel we are somewhat (not totally) responsible for the whole damned mess and are not willing to see 30% of the Jewish population of the world annihilated.

By, and large though, it is because the 12 million Jewish folks in America do a heck of a job, even better than the NRA, of twisting politician's arms. When you combine those folks with the number of ill-informed Christians who don't really understand what Jesus Christ's life and death was all about, you have a pretty strong lobby.

There is this, though: "I have seen these people," the LORD said to Moses, "and they are a stiff-necked people." I do think Israel needs to act more like the adult in the area.

JMO
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 10-11-19 at 15:46.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Because we would eventually have to get into it to defend Israel in order to keep it from going nuclear.

As to why we carry the load, I think there are a few, like myself, who feel we are somewhat (not totally) responsible for the whole damned mess and are not willing to see 30% of the Jewish population of the world annihilated.

By, and large though, it is because the 12 million Jewish folks in America do a heck of a job, even better than the NRA, of twisting politician's arms. When you combine those folks with the number of ill-informed Christians who don't really understand what Jesus Christ's life and death was all about, you have a pretty strong lobby.

There is this, though: "I have seen these people," the LORD said to Moses, "and they are a stiff-necked people." I do think Israel needs to act more like the adult in the area.

JMO

Israel has their own goals and interests which is fine. They aren't a little America who has to do our bidding. I also think there's probably nothing more that would unite Muslims around a cause than Israel playing a big role in ME issues. People learned not to **** with them but they need to keep a tight leash on what they do outside of their borders. Im not some Israeli lover, and its good we have them in the area, but I'm not immune to the role the pro-Israeli lobby has on our policy.

Does bring up a good point though. People are flipping out about the Kurds yet shit on Israel and support the BDS movement.

This is one of those cases where the interests and sides at play all have legitimate reasons for doing what they do, and one of the reasons I voted Trump was to lessen our role in the area. They all have legit beefs and I have no idea why the ME is such a huge policy issue for America. Besides lessening our role our energy independence that Trump supports unlike Obama means the ME matters even less to Americans. Theres always some group in the ME eating a shit sandwich at any given moment. I'd rather wipe our hands clean, and let them sort it out while we turn the trillions we've spent over there back into our own country and a debt that's growing billions by the day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So if the goal is bringing troops home, like Trump has stated, why then did he move 1,800 troops to Saudi Arabia today after pulling troops from Norther Syria? Seems a bit hypocritical.

Also, Turkey fired on positions near US special forces today (within several hundred meters). Are we still feeling good about the decision making going on here?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/11/w...an-troops.html
    https://www.newsweek.com/us-troops-syria-turkey-1464727

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Double post

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Amount of ****s given if PeshmergaPapa ****ing walked to the Middle East from Chile: Zero

After 18 years in Afghanistan this is what we have to show for it:

https://ichef-bbci-co-uk.cdn.ampproj...m_chart-nc.png
    I had no idea that Afghan opium was grown in Syria.

" Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I had no idea that Afghan opium was grown in Syria.

Pic aint working but Syria was the main route for foreign fighters into Iraq when I was there in 2004 and 2005-2006. There were units stationed up on the border trying to interdict them but only so much you can do. I took pics of one of one of the 'Juba' sniper vehicles we captured and people are dumb if they think just putting our troops somewhere fixes anything or the common 'goat herder' bullshit I see posted everywhere.

The opium issue is another example of our dumbass foreign policy. During the height of the Afghan war we were sending DEA agents there to try to disrupt poppy cultivation. Another example of do gooders paving the path to hell.

Its absolutely disgusting how mismanaged Iraq, Afghanistan, and the ME in general have been over the last few decades. The O4 and above crew treated the last 2 decades as a chess board like it was WW2 again while the LT's and NCO corps did what soldiers do and follow the mission but never got listened to. Listen to Chosen Few or Outlaw Platoon.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    So if the goal is bringing troops home, like Trump has stated, why then did he move 1,800 troops to Saudi Arabia today after pulling troops from Norther Syria? Seems a bit hypocritical.

Also, Turkey fired on positions near US special forces today (within several hundred meters). Are we still feeling good about the decision making going on here?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/11/w...an-troops.html
    https://www.newsweek.com/us-troops-syria-turkey-1464727
    The news coming out today is stating that Turkey Bracketed the location (Fired on either side of the location).

It was to make a point and see how the US responded... we left then returned.

The Saudi thing is going to be a shit show, par for the course with Trump.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast