Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Airstrikes launched as Turkey begins northern Syria military operation

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    We should have set up a Kurdish state in Northern Iraq once OIF was over.

Screw Turkey, Syria and Iran.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I fought along side the Peshmerga forces during Operation Restoring Rights and they've been a great asset in our efforts to combating AQI, ISIS, etc. during the GWOT in terms of both combat support and direct action. In short, this is f*cked up.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    . ..Check out the history of the Armenian genocide...
    You might want to take your own advice here. Kurds were heavily involved, on the killing side.

It is a complicated mess, a long time coming, and there is no real long term solution. No way to actually win. Keeping a crap status quo going forever is not a win.

Let keeping ISIS from moving back in be someone else's problem for once. We absolutely should hold Turkey to minimizing civilian casualties.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    You dipshits arguing for muh Kurds realize that the main political Kurdish body in Turkey are literal ****ing Marxist Communists, right?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When the Kurds were fighting our enemies and being armed by Germany most people here were 100% in support of them and saying they were a great ally and deserved their own state. Now that our current commander in chief has left them to the dogs suddenly it's "not our problem." The hypocrisy round here can be crazy.

The Kurds will remember this next time we need them for something. So will other people. Trump's foreign policy amounts to throwing darts at a wall at this point. Can't wait for the "but Obama was worse" replies. I don't think he was by a long-shot, but regardless hes not president anymore is he?
    Last edited by foxtrotx1; 10-09-19 at 13:53.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    I fought along side the Peshmerga forces during Operation Restoring Rights and they've been a great asset in our efforts to combating AQI, ISIS, etc. during the GWOT in terms of both combat support and direct action. In short, this is f*cked up.
    Completely ****ed up... not a single person in know understands this move. All will follow the chain... but make no mistake they all think he is a ****ing idiot now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    When the Kurds were fighting our enemies and being armed by Germany most people here were 100% in support of them and saying they were a great ally and deserved their own state. Now that our current commander in chief has left them to the dogs suddenly it's "not our problem." The hypocrisy round here can be crazy.

The Kurds will remember this next time we need them for something. So will other people. Trump's foreign policy amounts to throwing darts at a wall at this point. Can't wait for the "but Obama was worse" replies. I don't think he was by a long-shot, but regardless hes not president anymore is he?
    The Kurds seem like a decent group of people. At least the ones in Northern Iraq. I despise Turkey. With that being said how long do we stay in Syria to protect them? Forever? Because if we stay another 10 years and then leave Turkey will move in right after we leave then as well. The Kurds will never be strong enough to fend off Turkey.

And I have no love for Trump but he did run on pulling troops out of places. You can't say his foreign policy is darts when he is pulling guys out of a combat zone just like he said he was going to do in the campaign. Also, it's probably difficult to have any kind of successful policy on anything when you have half the deep state actively trying to undermine you since the day you took office.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    You might want to take your own advice here. Kurds were heavily involved, on the killing side.

It is a complicated mess, a long time coming, and there is no real long term solution. No way to actually win. Keeping a crap status quo going forever is not a win.

Let keeping ISIS from moving back in be someone else's problem for once. We absolutely should hold Turkey to minimizing civilian casualties.
    It is very misleading to equate the two, though. The Armenian genocide was a systematic, state-sponsored genocide that was the official policy of the Ottoman government. There were individual Kurdish tribes that participated, but this was neither systematic nor universal. Further, many modern Kurdish whose tribes participated have acknowledge and disavowed the actions of their ancestors. Compare this to approximately the way we'd view modern Japan or Germany--not perfect by a long shot, but they've disavowed the actions of their ancestors and we treat them as allies at this point. Contrast this with the Turkish government today that neither acknowledges nor disavows their official policy and responsibility for the Armenian genocide.

It *is* a complicated mess with no easy solution--and sending our guys there on the ground is not going to help IMHO. But preventing genocide is always worth doing, even if all you're doing is helping somebody to survive another day. The fact that they are potential strong allies in the region--something we need badly--makes it more of a priority to help them vs perhaps other places where we'd have less urgent of a national interest.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidbattlecry View Post
    The U.S. screwing our allies is nothing new, especially with this administration. I'm surprised anyone works with us anymore frankly.
    This one? You must have been in a coma for the a$$clown that activity worked at destroying relationships for 8 years.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    The Kurds seem like a decent group of people. At least the ones in Northern Iraq. I despise Turkey. With that being said how long do we stay in Syria to protect them? Forever? Because if we stay another 10 years and then leave Turkey will move in right after we leave then as well. The Kurds will never be strong enough to fend off Turkey.

And I have no love for Trump but he did run on pulling troops out of places. You can't say his foreign policy is darts when he is pulling guys out of a combat zone just like he said he was going to do in the campaign. Also, it's probably difficult to have any kind of successful policy on anything when you have half the deep state actively trying to undermine you since the day you took office.
    There is a difference in completing troop pull out goals and disregarding an obvious genocide.

I'm not sure what the deep state is, but I'm also not wearing a tin foil hat so maybe I don't pick up that radio station.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast