Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget/"Beater" Shotguns

Feedback Score

Budget/"Beater" Shotguns

I've been doing a little research on a few budget 12 gauge shotguns to "beat" around with, use for general home defense (although my go-to home defense shotgun is a 590A1), and just to have a go-to shotgun to throw in the truck or on a four wheeler around the farm if needed. I have made the budget for this shotgun to be around $300, while still wanting a reliable and tough shotgun that could potentially take a little more beating than my average shotguns normally do. I have stumbled across the Rock Island M5. I've seen it as low as $185 on grab-a-gun, and have heard positive things about it. I also was considering the Remington DM in their Magpul and tactical models. I am aware that it is impractical in most aspects, but it would be something different. I am open to any suggestions, and a big thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    I use a Benelli M4 but in your situation my first choice would be a used Remington 870. I doubt your 590 will wear out though...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Used 870 Wingmaster, 250-350 at gunshows. Clean, lube, replace springs and follower. Indestructible pump gun.

Feedback Score
    In addition to the Police trade in 870s and 590s Smith and Wesson 3000 riot guns can be had for about half your budget.
    Winchester 1200 Defenders go for about $225 around here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Police trades around $250

Feedback Score
    I’ve definitely been on the lookout for some trade ins. Been around to a few gun stores in the last month looking for some decent ones, but haven’t had much luck yet. I’ll be sure to check out the Smith and Wesson 3000.

Feedback Score
    Anything with a poly-choke. I've bought Model 12s and 870s real cheap.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I'd go with a Remington 870 Police Magnum police trade-in. If you look into that, read product descriptions carefully. Not every 870 police trade-in is an 870 Police Magnum, but the product descriptions may be very similar.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by William B. View Post
    I'd go with a Remington 870 Police Magnum police trade-in. If you look into that, read product descriptions carefully. Not every 870 police trade-in is an 870 Police Magnum, but the product descriptions may be very similar.
    Bud's had a rack of trade in 870's in July that was a mix of express, police magnum, and wingmasters.

The wingmasters were probably the nicest in the rack, but most/all were pre flexitab.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Add used m37 Ithaca to the list.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast