Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Budget/"Beater" Shotguns

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post
    This situation in 26 INF's post is one of the reasons the "Cruiser Ready", loaded magazine hammer down on an empty chamber with the safety off, standard came to be. Almost all slide action police issue shotguns in this condition can be fired with two actions on the part of the shooter, 1, rack the slide 2, pull the trigger. No remembering where the slide lock of safety are located just rack and shoot.
    We NEVER taught cruiser ready that way. Shotguns are carried mag tube fully loaded, chamber empty, safety engaged whether in the rack or a scabbard/case.

Many racks don't hold the shotgun so securely that the action won't vibrate the action slightly open and give another avenue for debris to enter the action. As far as cases go, back in the bench seat days, agencies used to carry the shotguns in scabbards mounted in front of the seats. With the action unlocked there were instances where the action was brought to the rear as the shotgun was inserted, and then closed forward while being pulled out, resulting in Nd's.

I don't think there is any absolute in this matter, just our way of doing things.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    There is also this issue. Skip to 5:00-5:20. (Small drop on side stops gun)

I don't recall if 590's have this issue, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87XSOnQrCYg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Many racks don't hold the shotgun so securely that the action won't vibrate the action slightly open and give another avenue for debris to enter the action.
    Barrel down racks solve this. They also make it harder for the barre to be used as a butt can by the Sgt riding in the passenger seat. Yes my training SGT actually did drop his cigarette butt down the barrel of the shotgun one shift.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Barrel down racks solve this. They also make it harder for the barre to be used as a butt can by the Sgt riding in the passenger seat. Yes my training SGT actually did drop his cigarette butt down the barrel of the shotgun one shift.
    Not a fan of barrle down racks.

IMHO the officer ought to be able to follow the muzzle of the shotgun/rifle out of the unit in order to get it into action quickly.

Easiest, and quickest way to do this without muzzling yourself is with a barrel up vertical rack or a barrel to the left orientation on horizontal racks - two officer unit, if the passenger officer is rifleman/shotgunner and barrel to right.

This requires planning and training in which many agencies don't partake.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Not a fan of barrle down racks.

IMHO the officer ought to be able to follow the muzzle of the shotgun/rifle out of the unit in order to get it into action quickly.

Easiest, and quickest way to do this without muzzling yourself is with a barrel up vertical rack or a barrel to the left orientation on horizontal racks - two officer unit, if the passenger officer is rifleman/shotgunner and barrel to right.

This requires planning and training in which many agencies don't partake.
    On this one we will have to agree to disagree. Barrel down, butt up racks allow the officer to get a grip on the stock fairly close to a firing grip before removing the gun from the rack instead of pulling it out of the rack by the barrel.

I was never fond of the horizontal racks mounted to the top of the cage. If you are on the wrong side of the car there is no way to get the gun out of the rack without pointing it at yourself. And it always seemed I was on the wrong side of the car.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    On this one we will have to agree to disagree. Barrel down, butt up racks allow the officer to get a grip on the stock fairly close to a firing grip before removing the gun from the rack instead of pulling it out of the rack by the barrel.
    I'm talking about following the rifle/shotgun out of the unit instead of reaching back in to get it.

I agree, if you are going to get out, and then reach back in to get the rifle shotgun, the muzzle down rack might seem more attractive.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At any given time a NIB Mossberg 88 can be had for less than two large.
    Ive not seen a problem with the ones Ive shot & know of, and not read anything bad about them either.
    Been thinkin about gettin one just because they are under $200.
    Also- had a used Winchester 1200 RIOT I bought in a pawn shop for about 25 years or so. Slickest pump action I ever felt, before or since.
    Nice, solid gun I won some 3 gun stuff with.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    How would y'all rate the Mossberg Maverick 88 compared to a Mossberg 500? I am aware that the Maverick's are fully interchangeable with the 500's barrels, and that the Maverick's safety is in its trigger group compared to the 500's receiver safety. I hunt most of the game here in Southern Virginia, and the interchangeability with both of the models really appeals to me. I've mostly seen the Mavericks go for around $200 and the majority of 500's for about $50-80 more, which doesn't bother me.

Feedback Score
    As a side note, I’ve taken the 590 out of the list of options, because I’ve found a basic model 590A1 with 20 inch barrel like I have now on Bud’s Gun Shop for $360, so if I were to spend the money for a 590, I would just get another 590A1.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibsonBanjos View Post
    As a side note, I’ve taken the 590 out of the list of options, because I’ve found a basic model 590A1 with 20 inch barrel like I have now on Bud’s Gun Shop for $360, so if I were to spend the money for a 590, I would just get another 590A1.
    I know earlier I recommended the the 590, since you are consider 500's and 88's, I want to add this to my advice:

Personally, I eschew shotguns with ghost ring/aperture sights in my personal collection. I don't slug hunt so no need for 'slug sights.' Within 50 yards the bead is plenty good for slugs.

I've never kept a shotgun I couldn't head shoot a silhouette target with at 25 yards, largely because they didn't pattern with buck either.

IMO if you've used shotguns to hunt, shoot skeet or trap, you will find you are much quicker with a bead than a ghost ring, except for long range (50+) slug shots.

For that reason 'I' would take a 590SP. You might notice the distinct lack of ghost ring sights among the 3-gunners.

If you think you are going to need to shoot at shadows, get one of these for a bead:

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...prod19914.aspx

https://www.opticsplanet.com/meproli...-shotguns.html
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 10-16-19 at 14:36.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast