Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Budget/"Beater" Shotguns

Feedback Score
    I definitely agree with you. I was not entirely thrilled about the ghost ring sight on the A1 I bought. It takes a little more practice to match the acquisition speed with the ghost rings versus a bead, but it isn't too terrible. I like the idea of that tritium sight. A cousin of mine has one on one of his 870's, and it is pretty slick.
    Last edited by GibsonBanjos; 10-16-19 at 16:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GibsonBanjos View Post
    ... a go-to shotgun to throw in the truck or on a four wheeler around the farm if needed. I have made the budget for this shotgun to be around $300... impractical in most aspects, but it would be something different.
    And now for something completely different:

How 'bout a cheap side-by-side? A "coach gun"?

Feedback Score
    That would be something different. Any particular ideas? I've seen a couple different offerings from Stoeger, in particular their Coach Gun and their Double Defense. I've always loved side-by-sides, but I may reserve that for the purchase after this, even though it's tempting .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    And now for something completely different:

How 'bout a cheap side-by-side? A "coach gun"?
    If he could find a used one for a good price absolutely. Put some shells on the stock and it's ready for almost anything you need a shotgun to do.

You've already got a 590 for HD.

The SxS will "feed" any shell you want unlike a pump. It will also be shorter overall. You can break it in half for easy storage in three pieces if you like. It looks less "tactical" should you use it outside the home. It's an easy gun for a non-gun enthusiast to use if need be.

But even a cheap sxs isnt that cheap. If your lucky you may find a used Rossie or Steven's or Stoeger for under $300.

For any shotgun use other than fighting off multiple armed assailants I prefer a double. (Preferably with double triggers)

Feedback Score
    Well, I believe I have made my decision. I had no idea that Benelli's Nova and Supernova barrels were interchangeable with their Supernova Tactical. I've always heard good things about their Supernova and Nova tactical, so I have decided to go with that and then down the road buy a 28" barrel from Benelli for waterfowl hunting and the occasional trap and skeet shooting (going with the Comfortech, non-pistol grip model). I would for sure add a two round extension tube, and another Surefire. The only dilemma I have is deciding between the Supernova Tactical with the ghost ring sights, or their open rifle sights. It would be a few months before I were to buy a 28" barrel. Plus in the meantime, along with the majority of the time, its primary use would be home defense and for use on the farm. Just mainly curious as to whether or not I should go with the ghost rings due to the fact that the 28" barrel would not have the higher front sight post for use with the ghost rings.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, I believe I have made my decision. I had no idea that Benelli's Nova and Supernova barrels were interchangeable with their Supernova Tactical. I've always heard good things about their Supernova and Nova tactical, so I have decided to go with that and then down the road buy a 28" barrel from Benelli for waterfowl hunting and the occasional trap and skeet shooting (going with the Comfortech, non-pistol grip model). I would for sure add a two round extension tube, and another Surefire. The only dilemma I have is deciding between the Supernova Tactical with the ghost ring sights, or their open rifle sights. It would be a few months before I were to buy a 28" barrel. Plus in the meantime, along with the majority of the time, its primary use would be home defense and for use on the farm. Just mainly curious as to whether or not I should go with the ghost rings due to the fact that the 28" barrel would not have the higher front sight post for use with the ghost rings.
    Wouldn't ghost rings pretty well eliminate the shotgun from waterfowl hunting and the occasional trap and skeet shooting?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I was thinking the exact same thing. It sounds like a dumb question, but I am almost positive the ghost ring would be much too high for the front bead on the 28" barrel. This leads me to the question of how would the open rifle sights be for the other general applications and uses for the shotgun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was thinking the exact same thing. It sounds like a dumb question, but I am almost positive the ghost ring would be much too high for the front bead on the 28" barrel. This leads me to the question of how would the open rifle sights be for the other general applications and uses for the shotgun.
    Beads would be to low for a ghost ring.

The 'rifle sights' on a shotgun are slower for most to acquire than a ghost ring set up, and generally not as accurate. The eye/brain has an innate ability to center an object in a circle or window. This is probably why our service rifles since the Garand have been fitted with aperture (peep) sights.

For shotgunning in general, even HD, my advice would be to stick with the bead, unless you want a dedicated slug gun. Once again, 3-gunners and skeet shootersdon't use ghost rings for a reason.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    What everybody else is saying... Skip the ghost ring sights.

If you must, then get the "rifle" sights, and then remove them and just use a bead on the short barrel.

I faced the same dilemma last year, and I bought a "field" M2 with a 21" barrel for "social" purposes and then a 28" "field" barrel for trap and whatever. Both have a simple fiber-optic bead.

Feedback Score
    Like most of us I've had both.

Aperture sights on a shotgun are slower but more accurate than a bead.

Your call.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast