Thread: Brass stuck in chamber, help!

Feedback Score

Brass stuck in chamber, help!

Could use some help, I had the end of the case rip off in the chamber and the rest of the brass is stuck in the bore. This is a Barrett m107 using Lake City ball ammo. 20191009_211229.jpg

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Take it to a smith that has a broken shell extractor. If necessary contact Barrett to see if they have any recommended rifle smith to send it to.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Feedback Score
    If you still have the other shell casings from that day, check for cracks or other instances of improper chamber seal. When you discharge a properly annealed, re-sized and properly pressured cartridge. The casing should eject still clean except for the case neck that should have evidence of having been expanded when it seals the chamber. In an AR the shell casings will of course have some gas residue from the gas operated ejection system, if there is actual debris accumulating in your chamber you have a serious problem. There have been arguments over the importance of annealing and let me just say; it is very important for shell casings fired more than 5 times or so.

Feedback Score
    All, thank you for the responses.

Does anyone have experience with any of these extraction tools and is one better than the others?
    The ammo I was using was factory new, all the spent brass looked good, except the failed one.
    Is this a common issue with 50 bmg? With m107?

Sorry, this is my first experience with a 50 so trying to learn. I've never had a failure like this with any other caliber or rifle.

NIXDSG

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Start with a chamber brush slightly larger then the throat. Insert from breech past the broken case then pull rearwards.

It needs to be big enough that the bristles can't reverse their bend when you reverse direction of travel.

Works like a champ for many cases. And no risk of scratching chamber / throat like other devices might have

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NIXDSG View Post
    All, thank you for the responses.

Does anyone have experience with any of these extraction tools and is one better than the others?
    The ammo I was using was factory new, all the spent brass looked good, except the failed one.
    Is this a common issue with 50 bmg? With m107?

Sorry, this is my first experience with a 50 so trying to learn. I've never had a failure like this with any other caliber or rifle.

NIXDSG
    I have no experience with the 50 but the problem must be far from rare being the extractors are pretty much sold on street corners. If it happens often I would have Barrett take a look at it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    …..………….
    Last edited by T2C; 10-11-19 at 21:02.
    Train 2 Win