Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.5" BCM Short stroking

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

11.5" BCM Short stroking

11.5" BCM upper. Carbine length gas. BCM lower, H buffer. M4-2000 suppressor

Hornady 55 gr V-max .223 are causing rifle to short stroke every now and then, sometimes even dragging the next round into the chamber and crushing it between bolt face and feed ramps. Bolt almost never held open on last round. I was checking out the V-max thinking it should be a better bullet for a hog hunt that I'm going on this weekend.

I have +/- 2500 rounds of M855 through this rifle flawlessly; suppressed and unsuppressed. FWIW I had my 16" S&W with H buffer not short stroke the V-max once and always held bolt open on last round. I guess the 4.5" more dwell time helped. I could kick myself because I had a carbine buffer at the range with me. I could have tossed it in the BCM and checked if that would be my fix right then.

Should I just stick with the M855 for shooting hogs, or swap to a carbine buffer and use the V-max? I want to just bring one rifle and the BCM is already set up for the suppressor. I won't have time to get to the range again before the trip. And once I'm there, it's not really a place to put a carbine through it's paces. It's a high fence deer ranch. Flinging brass all over the place and making noise will not be on the agenda.

Is there anything else I'm missing to look into? All mags acted the same on the BCM and all mags worked perfect on the S&W. It's got to be the .223 55gr load short stroking the SBR.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Probably ought to just stick with a known quantity and make the best of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I would not recommend V-Max for hogs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I would not recommend V-Max for hogs.
    1st this.
    2nd- your not going to have a good time clearing malfunctions all day.
    3rd- check for signs of gas leaks. That setup should not be short stroking bare, let alone with a supressor. Did you try it without the silencer on, or rechecked that m855 still works?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-10-19 at 05:16.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to lay odds that your bcg speed is accualy going too fast. Like mega medic said try it with out your supressor. One thing to ask is what is your ejection pattern, it not always indicative of what you rifle is doing but can help diagnose problems.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Had the same problem with mine. Do me a favor and swap out the bolt carrier and see if it happens again.

Feedback Score
    Lock back test?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    check for signs of gas leaks. That setup should not be short stroking bare, let alone with a supressor. Did you try it without the silencer on, or rechecked that m855 still works?
    No and no
    But I was thinking the same thing: this set up should not be short stroking. Gas key and gas tube are not loose. I’ll inspect the gas block for leak marks and apply a shot of air to gas key.

Quote Originally Posted by farmhard View Post
    I'm going to lay odds that your bcg speed is accualy going too fast. Like mega medic said try it with out your supressor. One thing to ask is what is your ejection pattern, it not always indicative of what you rifle is doing but can help diagnose problems.
    1 O’clock and solid ejection.
    What are indicators that the bolt is going too fast? I mentioned that some rounds were being picked up by the bolt dragging across the top of them and wedging them between the bolt face and feed ramps. Some rounds were pinched so bad that they looked like there were sliced open down the case wall. Bolt too fast?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 o'clock is a good indication, but this is pretty much the opposite of short stroking.

Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    No and no
    But I was thinking the same thing: this set up should not be short stroking. Gas key and gas tube are not loose. I’ll inspect the gas block for leak marks and apply a shot of air to gas key.

1 O’clock and solid ejection.
    What are indicators that the bolt is going too fast? I mentioned that some rounds were being picked up by the bolt dragging across the top of them and wedging them between the bolt face and feed ramps. Some rounds were pinched so bad that they looked like there were sliced open down the case wall. Bolt too fast?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I’ll try shooting the V-max unsuppressed next.
    Although since I know the M855 works suppressed, I’ll probably make my hunt with that setup. Should put a hurting on some piggies regardless.
    - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast