Thread: Invasive Species Snakehead caught in GA

Feedback Score

Invasive Species Snakehead caught in GA

Southern anglers, be on the lookout for this fish. Kill if caught and take it to DNR. Pictures in linked articles:

https://www.gon.com/news/snakehead-confirmed-georgia

https://georgiawildlife.blog/2019/10...nd-in-georgia/
    "For frantic boast and foolish word, Thy mercy on Thy people, Lord!" - Recessional

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yet another wonderful gift from our Chinese friends

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would characterize it as stupid people releasing invasive species they bought/received as pets into the wild. I live in Georgia, we have plenty of blame to go around before blaming others.

Feedback Score
    I agree with both sentiments above.

However, as a Georgian and a steward of wildlife, I feel it’s my responsibility to spread the word about this invasive species, regardless of whose fault it is.

Everyone will understand that this fish can literally wipe out a beloved native species. Please share with as many as possible.
    Last edited by Aetius; 10-10-19 at 22:37.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There does seem to be two sources... Exotic fishkeepers who did not listen to warnings the fish would quickly outgrow even large aquariums. And chinese markets who apparently import them live. I dont think they release them, but apparently customers do.

Lest we think this is a GA thing, a few years ago a very large one was caught in a PA pond. Made the news as conventional wisdom was they would not survive that far north.

Nature is odd. Big alligator was found in a pond near Kennesaw, Ga... Far north of normal range. What they now know is they can survive, just wont breed.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    I agree with both sentiments above.

However, as a Georgian and a steward of wildlife, I feel it’s my responsibility to spread the word about this invasive species, regardless of whose fault it is.

Everyone will understand that this fish can literally wipe out a beloved native species. Please share with as many as possible.
    They are considered invasive and every state's DNR's want them killed BUT they were found in the Potomac river in the early 2000. People freaked out as the Potomac was one of the best bass rivers on the east coast, and arguably still is. The snakeheads did not destroy the river like feared.

Unfortunately invasive species are a fact of life, snakeheads, asian carp, pythons, island apple snails, cuban frogs, tegu's in FL. Our kids will grow up with this and not know any different. Smallmouth bass are technically invasive to VA but are now managed by VDGIF and are considered a game fish; they have been there for over a hundred years.

My point is we are not going to eradicate all this, but nature is remarkably adaptable. The snakehead is a very good fish to eat, so catch em and eat em!