Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cali Power Outage

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Not just this, but also completely different policies than east coast agencies regarding controlled burns and natural fires.

Wildfires out west are significantly worse because of core policy differences. Well-intentioned tree-hugging.

They are a natural phenomenon that actually it's not just ok, but required for some habitats.
    I really wish east coasters would not comment on things they know nothing about. One of those being forest succession in Western States. We have had 15,000 years of Indian burning our forests for hunting purposes each fall. We live in a sub-climax fores setting which is prone to rapidly spreading fires. "Controlled burns" or native burning for hunting desiccate the environment. Australia went from a seasonal monsoon forest to a desert because of Aboriginal burning practices. We were part way there in California. Leave nature alone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    The problem is Blue State California has their power cut. We in Red State California are used to this. But it is the power company's fault. They cost all of you non-Californians millions and millions of dollars fighting fires on federal lands and the government was too chicken-----t to go after them for the money. Instead, the company used federal courts and bankruptcy protection to evade their responsibilities. Now, they are tying to punish citizens of California for their problems. But there is a solution.

They are in bankruptcy and cannot move laterally so to speak---they cannot sell the company now. Now, the State Legislature should mandate installation of underground lines and forbid the company from passing the cost on to consumers. It is a cost of doing business in the eco-bio-climato-world of California. After they do this then mandate a breakup of the company.
    Lol, Power companies have no choice but to pass costs to consumers (or tax payers). Underground power is good for about 30 years then has to be replaced. The reconduct job would put every other underground utility in jeopardy. Overhead distribution is the cheapest and easiest distribution system to build and maintain.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can't explain to a rabid far left environmentalist that trimming brush and removing dead falls are responsible forestry management.
    I wrote a paper about forestry management in college circa 1995, I thought the professor's head was going to explode after he quit foaming at the mouth.
    It's really about time people wake up and smell the coffee and let the adults in the room go back to managing things again.

California is an excellent example of going off the rails because of some environmental BS and the Socialst perspective of PG&E turning enough of a profit to maintain their lines.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I really wish east coasters would not comment on things they know nothing about. One of those being forest succession in Western States. We have had 15,000 years of Indian burning our forests for hunting purposes each fall. We live in a sub-climax fores setting which is prone to rapidly spreading fires. "Controlled burns" or native burning for hunting desiccate the environment. Australia went from a seasonal monsoon forest to a desert because of Aboriginal burning practices. We were part way there in California. Leave nature alone.
    Them goddamn Injuns!

t. A goddamn Injun

But I sympathize with people trapped in Cali and it is an otherwise gorgeous place but the leadership needs to go

Feedback Score
    How do you “leave nature alone” and have all of the conveniences of modern society?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    How do you “leave nature alone” and have all of the conveniences of modern society?
    It’s tricky.

Like. I’m not opposed to green measures, Solar Power, Nuclear Power(if properly maintained), ethical hunting and culling of wildlife (which has zip to do with 2A which is very much about the civil use of arms and righteous killing of enemies foreign and domestic), cleaner cars, etc etc.

But all else being equal the US is nowhere near the pollution pit of Red China, Japan, or Russia.

I think we can harness technology to live with nature as opposed to against it. No I don’t think we should eat bugs or go Vegan.

Our worst problem is overpopulation. These other countries are defecating too many humans and are coming here. Usually disease and war would keep that in check but every dollar you donate to UNICEF pretty much empowers some denizen of a shithole to grow to maturity, breed, then blow himself up or die in tribal warfare.

Like not everywhere needs a strip mall or a project house. And I don’t mean rank elitism here.

Just preserving what we have and not over relying on these other places.

There’s a happy medium but nobody wants to go there. Just bitch about it.

We don’t call a spade a spade.

Ted Roosevelt understood it and would be considered a barbarian by today’s social metric

At some point I’d like a Solar Powered house if it is more cost effective, and I hear it is.

There’s options that don’t require us to be hippies or metrosexuals

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It’s tricky.

Like. I’m not opposed to green measures, Solar Power, Nuclear Power(if properly maintained), ethical hunting and culling of wildlife (which has zip to do with 2A which is very much about the civil use of arms and righteous killing of enemies foreign and domestic), cleaner cars, etc etc.

But all else being equal the US is nowhere near the pollution pit of Red China, Japan, or Russia.

I think we can harness technology to live with nature as opposed to against it. No I don’t think we should eat bugs or go Vegan.

Our worst problem is overpopulation. These other countries are defecating too many humans and are coming here. Usually disease and war would keep that in check but every dollar you donate to UNICEF pretty much empowers some denizen of a shithole to grow to maturity, breed, then blow himself up or die in tribal warfare.

Like not everywhere needs a strip mall or a project house. And I don’t mean rank elitism here.

Just preserving what we have and not over relying on these other places.

There’s a happy medium but nobody wants to go there. Just bitch about it.

We don’t call a spade a spade.

Ted Roosevelt understood it and would be considered a barbarian by today’s social metric

At some point I’d like a Solar Powered house if it is more cost effective, and I hear it is.

There’s options that don’t require us to be hippies or metrosexuals
    Solar power houses are part of the problem with the grid. Gov mandates that the power co’s buy excess power and there are less paying customers to maintain the distribution system. This has become a problem that no one wants to talk about then everyone shrieks when a rate hike happens. So when your Ga power bill jumps $50 a month next year, thank everyone who is “off the grid” but still tied in for back up and not paying for any maintainence. Now think of the impact those 1000 acre solar farms are having.
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 10-10-19 at 17:29. Reason: Auto correct

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    Solar power houses are part of the problem with the grid. Gov mandates that the power co’s buy excess power and there are less paying customers to maintain the distribution system. This has become a problem that no one wants to talk about then everyone shrieks when a rate hike happens. So when your Ga power bill jumps $50 a month next year, thank everyone who is “off the grid” but still tied in for back up and not paying for any maintainence.
    I am trying to depend on GA Power as little as possible though.

Maybe Gov needs to stop mandating so GD much.

GA power cashes my checks but don’t swap spit with me in the shower.

Not trying to be punchy with you but oof

Feedback Score
    Lol. No worries bud. There’s just 2 sides to the coin, like any other situation. I didn’t mean for my response to seem like it was directly pointed at you.
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 10-10-19 at 17:36.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Power companies having to buy your solar power at retail during non peak hours is a huge hidden subsidy. And not sustainable in the long run.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast