Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Suppressor Help

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

.22 Suppressor Help

So a buddy of mine is wanting a suppressor for a Ruger 10/22 he just won in a raffle. He realizes his lack of knowledge on this subject and asked me to help. I have experience with other suppressors, but not .22 rimfire.

I anticipate the suppressor will live most of its life on the 10/22 and minimal, if any, time on pistols.

Priorities from most to least important:

1. Durability
    2. Quietness
    3. Cost
    4. Ease of Cleaning
    5. Length/Weight

Lets put the theoretical cap on price at $400 (not including stamp), but that’s not set in stone. Prices in the $200’s would definitely be easier for him to swallow but if that sacrifices any significant quality, then I can convince him to spend the dough.

So far the Dead Air Mask and the Silencerco Sparrow have stood out in my limited research. The Spectre II did as well but I see that’s been discontinued.

What are yalls opinions and are there other options I should be looking at?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have the Mask, but have shot the SiCo rimfire cans as well as a few others. In my opinion the mask is one of the best rimfire cans on the market right now. There are lighter options, so if that is a big deal understand that the mask is heavier than some options, like the erector from q. Advantages for me for the mask are very durable (up to 5.7 rated which means I never have to worry about durability practically speaking). It is also very quiet with 22 subs, among the quietest I have shot besides integral cans. It is also very easy to disassemble for cleaning, which honestly is one of my primary concerns for a rimfire can. It is also easy to clean the baffles because they are steel, so you have more options cleaning them than you would with aluminum. I have been very happy with mine and would buy again.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I love my Sparrow. Your #1 is durability.
    Steel guts makes it very durable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Spectre 22 is the current version of the Spectre II.

I have the Spectre 2 and have been very happy with it to the point that last years silencerco’s promotion prompted me to get a second (Spectre 22 currently in NFA jail).

I also have a Gemtech gm-22. It is a bit smaller but works very well too. It is a monocore and has a some first round pop but not a lot. The Spectre’s seem to have the least amount of FRP. On a 10/22 pretty much any of them will be nice and quiet. You’ll be amazed at how much noise the action makes.....

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    Spectre 22 is the current version of the Spectre II.
    I was under the impression they were the same? In either case I couldnt find them in stock from any place I recognize

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I have had a Spectre II for over 5 years and it is fantastic. Great suppression and easy to take down to clean. It is just a tad heavy but that does not bother me.

If I were buying a .22 can today, my options would be narrowed to the Dead Air Mask HD or Thunderbeast Takedown. I like those two due to their orientation notches on the baffles for perfect alignment every time you reassemble them. It is a pain trying to keep the baffles in the Spectre aligned to aide in even gas distribution.

They are both at the top for suppression and minimal POI shift as well. Pick the one you like more and rock on.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a Spectre II and a Mask. I didn't realize the Spectre was discontinued. I'm equally pleased with both of them. They have both been perfect. I slightly gravitate toward the Mask since it's a little more compact.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I think I've got him sold on a Mask, I just wish I was buying one too! Thanks for the replies gents.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I use my Sparrow on a 10/22 as well as a S&W Victory with no complaints- good suppression, solid mounting, easy to clean and durable. If I was only looking to suppress the 10/22, I’d look hard the integrally-suppressed barrel that Ruger makes for that platform (provides it’s a take-down, of course).

Feedback Score
    The one downside to the sparrow is the FSP. It is very easy to clean so maintenance isn't that big if a deal.
    I want to try a Mask next as I've read it doesn't have the "first shot pop" issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast