View Poll Results: Will the SAS-UK RAS lower make the entire RAS a free float rail?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it will be a free float rail

1 8.33%
  • No, it won't be a free float rail

11 91.67%
  • I'm not sure

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KAC M4 RAS question

Feedback Score

Lightbulb KAC M4 RAS question

Hi, I'm thinking about doing a clone project and wanted to use the KAC RAS rail to stay as clone correct as I can. However, I don't like that it's a non-free floating rail. People have mentioned in other threads that the top rail is actually free floating because it attaches to the barrel nut, but it's the bottom rail that makes contact with the handguard cap, and hence the barrel as well. I've also read somewhere that there is a bottom rail known as the SAS-UK RAS Lower that attaches to the barrel nut in the same fashion as the top rail. If so, would this in theory convert the RAS into a free float rail? Any thoughts and/or suggestions on this topic is much appreciated. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The RAS is not a free float rail as it uses the front hand guard cap to secure it in place. The clamps help secure the rail to the barrel nut, but not really need it. I went with the SAS lower rail to get rid of the slop on the lower rail.
    If you want free float RAS, you want the RAS II
    NRA Life Member Since 1993

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uniform64 View Post
    The RAS is not a free float rail as it uses the front hand guard cap to secure it in place. The clamps help secure the rail to the barrel nut, but not really need it. I went with the SAS lower rail to get rid of the slop on the lower rail.
    If you want free float RAS, you want the RAS II
    Thanks for the input!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What uniformed64 said. The SAS lower rail just locks the lower rail to the barrel nut the same way the the main body of the RAS does. The RAS, normal lower and SAS lower, all three contact the barrel/handguard cap at the FSB.

Not sure why this was a poll. Polls collect opinions. There is no opinion related to this question, just facts. The FACTS are that the M4 RAS is not free-floating.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    What uniformed64 said. The SAS lower rail just locks the lower rail to the barrel nut the same way the the main body of the RAS does. The RAS, normal lower and SAS lower, all three contact the barrel/handguard cap at the FSB.

Not sure why this was a poll. Polls collect opinions. There is no opinion related to this question, just facts. The FACTS are that the M4 RAS is not free-floating.
    Gotcha, thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not too long ago I was working on a clone build, too. I had a KAC rail but ended up using a Daniel Defense Omega rail with the KAC rail covers. No longer a clone but I'm happy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not free floating and very heavy. However, a great rugged, tough rail. Ask yourself are you shooting match ammo and do you need bench rest accuracy? Or are you shooting ball ammo and looking for minute of man combat accuracy? That will tell you whether or not you need a free float rail.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    Not free floating and very heavy. However, a great rugged, tough rail. Ask yourself are you shooting match ammo and do you need bench rest accuracy? Or are you shooting ball ammo and looking for minute of man combat accuracy? That will tell you whether or not you need a free float rail.
    Thats a huge exaggeration. They are not that heavy nor make that much impact on the poi.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Get the FFRAS looks similar and most clone dudes give it a pass, as it been seen “ITW”.

Mine:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    Thats a huge exaggeration. They are not that heavy nor make that much impact on the poi.
    When I installed mine, the rifle really felt noticeably more nose heavy than with the original hanguards. Just letting the OP know that there are much lighter options nowdays. Sharing my own experience with the rail, not exaggerating.
    Last edited by kirkland; 10-17-19 at 08:02.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast