View Poll Results: Will the SAS-UK RAS lower make the entire RAS a free float rail?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it will be a free float rail

1 8.33%
  • No, it won't be a free float rail

11 91.67%
  • I'm not sure

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KAC M4 RAS question

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    On the M16A4, I find that the rifle feels heavier than it should. On a M4 or M4a1, I find the RAS weight to be a non-issue. It is a little bulky with the supplied covers, which may contribute to it feeling heavier than it is. Put some ladders on it.

With a “SOCOM” profile barreled M4a1 with RAS, I find that the user and ammo are the limiting factors in POI or group size from practical shooting positions.

If you want the right look, and are that concerned with precision, put an ALG QMS in it, buy good ammo, and get some trigger time on it. These things will likely have a bigger impact on precision than a free float unless you’re shooting benchrest.

I’m assuming we’re talking about a M4a1 or Mk18 clone. My advice may not apply to other weapons.

Edit: I only mentioned the M16a4 as a point of reference, in case the poster that said the RAS is heavy is talking about the M5.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-17-19 at 08:16. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The RAS will seem heavy if you're used to running skinny light weight handguards. I no longer have a RAS, a cloner loner offered me too much money for it for me to resist selling it, but I remember weighing it along with an MOE handguard and a classic handguard and it was only like 1-1.5 oz heavier than the MOE and legacy handguard.

The ounces start piling on though once you add the rail covers, lights, switches, foregrips and doo hickeys.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    Thats a huge exaggeration. They are not that heavy nor make that much impact on the poi.
    Agreed. I still run 3 RAS systems. Never a weight or POI issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    Mine:
    I like that.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    When I installed mine, the rifle really felt noticeably more nose heavy than with the original hanguards. Just letting the OP know that there are much lighter options nowdays. Sharing my own experience with the rail, not exaggerating.
    So going from 6.7 oz the colts plastic weight to 8.9 oz was a big difference for you?
    Last edited by chef8489; 10-18-19 at 04:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    When I installed mine, the rifle really felt noticeably more nose heavy than with the original hanguards. Just letting the OP know that there are much lighter options nowdays. Sharing my own experience with the rail, not exaggerating.
    Yes you are exaggerating big time. I carried one for years. They aren’t that bad. You need to carry a pencil barrel AR. Obviously you can’t handle a 7lb rifle. Not everyone is a wuss
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like my FF RAS but it’s pretty dated. Will likely get put on a shorty.

I’m over RAS though

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If your making a gun clone correct, why are you worried about the short comings? Like that's half of cloning a gun. If it was a dope rail it would still be in use. It's possibly the most dated design I can think of. While you are at it get a Peq 2 ... You know the one that looked like a VCR tape. But be warned its no DBAL.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As do I. Two on Colt 14.5 SOCOMs and one on a 11.5. All with a IWC picatinny sling mount mounted aft and a TangoDown shorty VFG, one 14.5 with SF M300 on IWC offset mount mounted forward. Never a POI issue nor am I concerned about weight. I like my RAS for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Agreed. I still run 3 RAS systems. Never a weight or POI issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    They’re not terribly heavy and it feels pretty steady.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    If it was a dope rail it would still be in use.
    It is still in use. Lots of use.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast