Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS vs DD5V4

Feedback Score
    There used to be a comparison spreadsheet floating around on the Net. Somehow, it disappeared. They have some good comparisons on Youtube.

I'm gonna put my money on Colt, since Bud's has LE discounts on Colt. I'm in the process of brooming those two M&P 15s. I'll make some pocket change, but not much. Looks like I'll be going with a 6720 to start, and a 6940 later for distance. The 6940 is looking good, but it's .8 lb heavier than the 6720. Both come with BUIS. 6940 has a free-float barrel, plus other nice features.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Interesting, I own the MWS but I’m looking forward to your feedback. The MWS can handle suppressed fire, it just runs the brass hot like LMT intended.

Good luck with your DD.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    Congrats on the new blaster. I can't wait to hear what you think of it once you've had some time at the range to get acquainted. I've been wanting one myself since DD announced the new slate of updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Looks like an interesting rifle--would've done the same in your shoes. IMHO it's worth giving the DD a chance, they have the track record with the AR platform and seem committed to delivering reliable AR10's with some enhancements vs the LMT. Love what they've done withe the full ambi controls. Also they've been through a couple generations of AR10 platform by now, so hopefully they're getting it dialed in.

If you have time...would be great to see a dedicated running thread with detail pics, and update as you go with a range report. Especially interested to hear about accuracy, and reliability when you run with the suppressed/unsuppressed settings. Was interested the DD decided to go with a simple on/off setting for the gas vs adjustable. Hopefully our DD rep will come along soon and fill us in, but my hunch would be that decision was made for durability/ruggedness and reliability, prioritizing those things over the ability to finely tune the gas.
    Will do, I'll start a thread tonight on it.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...67#post2775767

Quote Originally Posted by .223Pound View Post
    There used to be a comparison spreadsheet floating around on the Net. Somehow, it disappeared. They have some good comparisons on Youtube.

I'm gonna put my money on Colt, since Bud's has LE discounts on Colt. I'm in the process of brooming those two M&P 15s. I'll make some pocket change, but not much. Looks like I'll be going with a 6720 to start, and a 6940 later for distance. The 6940 is looking good, but it's .8 lb heavier than the 6720. Both come with BUIS. 6940 has a free-float barrel, plus other nice features.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Interesting, I own the MWS but I’m looking forward to your feedback. The MWS can handle suppressed fire, it just runs the brass hot like LMT intended.

Good luck with your DD.

PB
    PB,

Your experience with the MWS is one I have followed closely for a long time. Hey, if you ever get tired of that Atlas I sold you, let me know first!
    Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 10-13-19 at 00:01.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .223Pound View Post

This thread is about 308s not Colt 5.56s. Please keep up.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    My fear is that, from my reading alone, the MWS does not seem to be a good gun for running suppressed (I have a Saker and Sandman S), while the DD has an adjustable gas block. Any thoughts or experience on that?
    No longer the case. LMT cans are optimized to run on their rifles without the need to swap out any other components. If running third party cans, a simple swap for an XH buffer will have your LMT running suppressed without issues if not using low back pressure cans. Keep in mind that the MWS is gassed that way to meet contractual requirements, but it doesn't have to be a deal breaker. My vote is for LMT. Combat proven, modularity and KAC DNA makes it an easy choice.

ETA: Why are you returning your DD bolt action?

ETA 2: Just saw that you decided to go with the DD 7.62. Enjoy!

Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 10-15-19 at 12:22.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    No longer the case. LMT cans are optimized to run on their rifles without the need to swap out any other components. If running third party cans, a simple swap for an XH buffer will have your LMT running suppressed without issues if not using low back pressure cans. Keep in mind that the MWS is gassed that way to meet contractual requirements, but it doesn't have to be a deal breaker. My vote is for LMT. Combat proven, modularity and KAC DNA makes it an easy choice.

ETA: Why are you returning your DD bolt action?

ETA 2: Just saw that you decided to go with the DD 7.62. Enjoy!

Boba, your MWS's have been eye candy to me for years! Thanks for the info, if you'd only been here sooner lol.

The Delta 5 was returned because I didn't want to fiddle with the recall.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Boba, your MWS's have been eye candy to me for years! Thanks for the info, if you'd only been here sooner lol.

The Delta 5 was returned because I didn't want to fiddle with the recall.
    You're up in the Fort Collins area right? We should plan a meet up so we can shoot and compare rifles.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    You're up in the Fort Collins area right? We should plan a meet up so we can shoot and compare rifles.
    Greeley. PM me sometime, I'd be happy to shoot with like minded folks.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    MWS
    20” barrel cut to 16” will fix gas issues
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Both are great options but I chose the LMT because of the ability to quickly swap calibers without needing a whole new upper. Obviously, there’s likely more repeatability if you have a separate upper with dedicated optic but I prefer having less components to deal with and I plan on running it with an OSS HX-762. I’ll be running the same can on an SR25 once I’m clear of funds to order one and perhaps even a MR762 if HK gets around to implementing the A5 updates for the US market. I love LMT’s MARS lowers and my only wish is that they offered CHF barrels. If I could find someone to modify the barrel, I’d have the best combo of everything by running the MARS H lower with a KAC CHF barrel/E2 updates and perhaps the HK piston system or just adjustable gas.

Leave the guns...bring the cannolis.
    Give me but one firm spot on which to stand and I will move the Earth. -Archimedes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast