Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Match 9mm ammo ?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    I have pretty much settled on Speer Lawman 124gr fmj for all my practice and match ammo, it's accurate and reliable for me. Shoots about the same as my 124gr HST carry ammo.
    Just bought two cases, looking forward to trying it in the current guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For what it's worth I no longer reload for soft recoil and reasonable accuracy. I load more for reliability and accuracy. Enough push to cycle a dirty action is more important to me. Years ago Angus Hobdell told a bunch of us that the CZ [9mm] was most accurate with middle weight bullets 124/125 gr. weight was best.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    For what it's worth I no longer reload for soft recoil and reasonable accuracy. I load more for reliability and accuracy. Enough push to cycle a dirty action is more important to me. Years ago Angus Hobdell told a bunch of us that the CZ [9mm] was most accurate with middle weight bullets 124/125 gr. weight was best.
    Recoil difference between standard pressure loads is one of the most overrated things, other than triggers.
    It wont matter. To your point, your gun jamming will absolutely cost you places in a match. So will steel not falling.

Just to be clear, the recoil impulse will be different, but if you practice with your match ammo, you ‘ll know how to grip it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Recoil difference between standard pressure loads is one of the most overrated things, other than triggers.
    It wont matter. To your point, your gun jamming will absolutely cost you places in a match. So will steel not falling.

Just to be clear, the recoil impulse will be different, but if you practice with your match ammo, you ‘ll know how to grip it.
    Agreed. Along with decently powered ammo I use full strength springs, again, to better close the action when dirty. I've experimented with soft springs and super fast powder in my .38 super colt. I did get soft recoil and a flat shooting gun but at the cost of a much narrower window of reliable function. But the real deal breaker for me was a blown case head due to the VV N310 powder and just the right amount of powder, maybe a worn out case.. I don't know but it hasn't happened since I went to VV N340.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    But the real deal breaker for me was a blown case head due to the VV N310 powder and just the right amount of powder, maybe a worn out case.. I don't know but it hasn't happened since I went to VV N340.
    I've been using e3 which is right up there on the chart with N310. I haven't had any blown cases or issues and its a great powder in that it's not temp sensitive at all. But I'm going the same direction as you and moving to BE-86. The uber fast powders do shoot softer, but I don't believe there's any benefit unless you are shooting at USPSA Master class level or maybe a solid A class which I'm not. Proper gun function is far far more important. It's also nice to just consolidate on a single powder or two for everything.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I can get it I'm going to VV N330 which will be great for 9mm and .38 Super Auto.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Velocities from my chrono on my G17 @ 10 feet, 10 round average:
    Blazer 124 fmj -AVE: 1088 SD:69 Blazer Brass Case: 1047 SD:43
    Blazer 115fmj - AVE: 1127 SD: 68

PB..MY favorite fmj 9mm is MEN 124gr...out of my G19 & g17 its VERY accurate. That & Winchester NATO are great, Ive shot so many thousands of each, all been 100%.
    MEN 124 fmj
    G19: AVE: 1068 ES:45
    G17:AVE: 1085 ES: 35

Winchester NATO
    G19: AVE: 1131 ES: 55
    Winchester Steel Case 115 fmj
    G19 AVE: 1057 ES: 46
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345