Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDF style Paracord sling mounts?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

IDF style Paracord sling mounts?

So I have an A1 clone style rifle that is developing into kind of an IDF clone. I just received my Israeli sling and now I'm trying to determine how to go about making Israeli style sling mounts out of Paracord for it. Generally it seems they loop the cord around the FSB at the front, and on the fixed stock, like I have, wrap the Paracord around the stock a few times to facilitate a top mount.
    I can find a lot of pics of this, but not really being a "knot guy" I'm still not entirely sure how to duplicate what I'm seeing.
    Anyone have some knowledge on the proper way to do this?

Feedback Score
    For the FSB, I made a 2” loop of paracord (insides removed) and tied the loose ends together with a double overhand knot. Pulled real tight and then snipped off the excess. I then melted the knot together with a lighter.

Loop around the FSB and pull one side through the other. Attach the front of the sling to the cord.

For the rear stock (carbine), I looped over and through the sling slots in the stock. Looped around twice and tied a tight double overhand knot on the top of the stock. Then I tied another double overhand about 2” away from the first knot on the loose ends. Snipped the excess cord and melted both knots together. Attached the rear of the sling here.

You can also do this on an A1/A2 fixed stock but you want to do several loops going around and then through the rear sling loop.

Maybe not IDF approved method but it works well and has held up for a number of years.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks, I was mostly concerned there were some sort of fancy knots involved in doing this correctly. I seem to have managed to approximate what I've seen in the pics.
    My initial thought would be that the FSB could get hot enough during heavy firing to melt the paracord, however the practice of using paracord seems common enough that I have to assume that is is not the case.
    We'll see how it holds up.

EDIT: tried to post a pic but the new Imgur app is a PITA to use.
    Guess an attached file will have to do. There's quite a few pics of IDF M16A1s that have been refitted with A2 handguards. Also a lot of Israeli guns seem to have been refinished much blacker than the grey normally associated with the A1s.
    Shown with Israeli surplus FN Hi Power and Israeli gas mask.
    IMG_20191011_203737.jpg
    Last edited by Circle_10; 10-11-19 at 19:56.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Cool pic. Would you show a close up pic of your paracord sling attachment on the FSP?

Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Thanks, I was mostly concerned there were some sort of fancy knots involved in doing this correctly. I seem to have managed to approximate what I've seen in the pics.
    My initial thought would be that the FSB could get hot enough during heavy firing to melt the paracord, however the practice of using paracord seems common enough that I have to assume that is is not the case.

EDIT: tried to post a pic but the new Imgur app is a PITA to use.
    Guess an attached file will have to do. There's quite a few pics of IDF M16A1s that have been refitted with A2 handguards. Also a lot of Israeli guns seem to have been refinished much blacker than the grey normally associated with the A1s.
    Shown with Israeli surplus FN Hi Power and Israeli gas mask.
    IMG_20191011_203737.jpg

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Cool pic. Would you show a close up pic of your paracord sling attachment on the FSP?
    10-4 the gun is put up for the night but I'll snap one in the AM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure what the rear is called, but the front is a girth hitch.

https://www.animatedknots.com/girth-hitch-knot

If your cords are long enough you can do a Prusik or Klemheist that will grab on to the object they are wrapped around.

https://www.animatedknots.com/prusik-knot

https://www.animatedknots.com/klemheist-knot

Feedback Score

IDF style Paracord sling mounts?

This has been working for me for year now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Josefius; 10-12-19 at 09:30.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking about this but what I came to realize is that if you get the FSB hot enough to melt the paracord then you have got several things going on...

First, the rifle is probably still in your hands so it wouldn’t necessarily hit the deck.

Second, you probably have bigger issues than a detached sling.

Third, you’ve just added some character marks to your rifle.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boss_hawg View Post
    For the FSB, I made a 2” loop of paracord (insides removed)
    Why did you take the guts out of the 550 cord? Too strong with the core?
    Last edited by CrowCommand; 10-12-19 at 11:07.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast